Legal Director & Company Secretary – Lagos
Posted Date: Jun 9 2021
To lead provision of legal, PLC compliance and company secretarial services and support to all the business units and entities in Nigeria/West Africa (WA) including CH, PH & CH Quality Supply Chain (QSC) to enable them achieve their business objectives in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and corporate compliance principles.
- Describe the key deliverables to be achieved by the post holder and the ongoing responsibilities of the role
- The role will be responsible primarily for the provision of legal services across Pharma (Rx) in Nigeria and any other assigned markets from time to time – currently including Lebanon & Jordan in the Middle East (all together “the Markets”) and Consumer Healthcare (Cx) businesses in West Africa including leading / coordinating legal support and working and instructing outside counsel.
- The role will also be responsible for providing Company Secretarial cover in Nigeria
- The role holder will be managing/leading a management level lawyer and also interacting with other Legal Shared Services Team which delivers some specific legal services (e.g. corporate secretariat, contract cycle management, data protection, etc).
- The role holder will need to be flexible in terms of the type of work she/he is prepared to undertake and available to provide ad hoc advice on short notice. The following is illustrative of the key responsibilities:
- Participation in the Markets’ management team meetings;
- Negotiating/drafting and/or reviewing a wide range of commercial agreements;
- Providing legal support in respect of existing arrangements;
- Advising on Legal aspects of sales and promotion including review of product claims and challenges;
- Advising and managing commercial dispute resolution and litigation;
- Advising on legal entity and operating models;
- Providing legal support on industry issues, crisis management and product incidents;
- Oversight and management of legal risks within Risk Management and Compliance framework;
- Delivering/ coordinating Legal training to client groups – including, but not limited to, competition law, data privacy, anti-bribery and corruption, etc;
- Liaising with other groups within Legal (such as Legal Brand Protection, Dispute Resolution) and other departments such Corporate Tax, Finance etc)
- Appropriate and timely escalation of material issues to the Performance Markets Cluster Legal Director.
- Act as a business partner / trusted advisor to Rx and Cx Leadership Team (and the General Manager particularly) on all relevant legal matters impacting the Markets and educating client businesses on sound legal practices and new developments impacting the business.
- Support on other legal projects in the Markets as required according to business priorities.
- Anticipating and proactively supporting the prevention and management of legal risks facing the company.
- Manage and supervise activities of external legal counsel on legal matters in the Markets.
- Advising on compliance, governance and control issues where appropriate.
- Appropriately manage legal budget in the Markets so that alternative billing arrangements are reached with Law Firms and external legal services are provided at value.
Breadth/ Scope of Accountability
Number of Direct Reports
Annual Budget managed by this role
- Annual Direct Revenue Accountability (please add currency)
A. Educational Background
1. Minimum Level of Education
- University Level – Bachelor of Laws Degree
Area of Specialisation*
- General undergraduate law degree
Why is this Level of Education Required?
Basic technical competency minimum for Legal role
2. Preferred Level of Education
- University Level – Master of Laws Degree
Area of Specialisation
Why is this Level of Education Preferred?
- Advanced, specialized legal knowledge and theoretical frame necessary to handle complex legal issues
B. Job-Related Experience
Minimum Level of Job-Related Experience required
- Qualified as a lawyer in Nigeria with more than 10 years of experience minimum.
- Experienced in commercial, contract, corporate and litigation.
- Experience of the Pharmaceutical, Consumer Healthcare and/or FMCG industries.
- Experience of operating in a multi-national, multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills. Fluent in English
- Ability to manage and work independently within a matrix structure and in a team environment.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with all levels of GSK management, but in particular senior GSK management and third parties.
- Qualified as a Certified Public Secretary or its equivalent with a minimum of 3 years of experience as Company Secretary preferably in a public listed company in Nigeria.
Why is this Level of Experience Required?
- Commensurate with the seniority level of the job as a leadership role
- Role requires ability to work independently and efficiently under pressure with minimal supervision
C. Other Job-Related Skills/Background
- Certified Public Secretary or its equivalent of good standing
- Member of the Nigerian Bar of good standing
This is only general job description. Detailed business objectives for the employee are established during individual annual Performance & Development Planning (PDP) process and revised on current basis.
The employee is obliged to perform all tasks and to behave in internal / external professional relations with respect to polish law, GSK policies and regulations such as: GSK Code of Conduct, Acceptable Use of IT Resources and so on (published in GSK network)
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK’s commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.