Manager, People at Edo State Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST)
Edo State Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST) – The Edo State Government launched the Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST) programme in 2018, to revolutionize basic education across the state. The programme is designed to deliver on the Governor’s core belief that “once you get basic education right, everything else falls in place”.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Manager, People
Location: Benin-City, Edo
Employment Type: Full Time
EdoBEST recognizes that a strong educational foundation will launch its children into a future of success and takes this responsibility seriously. The programme uses a holistic approach that centers on scientifically-based learning materials, a data-driven model and continuous capacity building.
Through EdoBEST, teachers are equipped to leverage technology, motivate pupils and employ scientifically-based learning materials; teaching methods and classroom techniques. EdoBEST head teachers are coached to support their teachers, connect with their communities and take full ownership of all aspects of their schools. While education managers are trained to leverage technology and data-driven approaches to support school staff and effectively fulfill their roles.
EdoBEST is on track to serve hundreds of thousands of children across all government primary and junior secondary schools in the state, improving their learning outcomes and their life opportunities. Critically the program is also investing in the professional development of government teachers, school leaders and education managers; providing capacity building for thousands of civil servants.
Working hand in hand with the state government to entrench quality education and the structures that enable it is dynamic and urgent work. We need team members that are deeply passionate, thrive in ever-changing environments and enjoy digging into challenges.
We are truly a team of trailblazers working to ensure that the children of Edo State have the opportunity to maximize their potential. We need those that are committed to this transformative programme, and inspired by its ambition, to join us!
- Our people are at the core of what we do, from the teachers in our schools to the software developers building our tech platform – and we do it at massive scale with rapid growth.
- We are the champions of EdoBEST culture. We find passionate change-makers across rural communities, informal settlements and global cities who want to lead the movement to reform public education. We help them grow through continuous learning, strong focus on performance and extensive collaboration.
- We rely on technology to engage with, innovate for and serve thousands of our people spread across multiple time-zones. We are evidence-based, outcomes driven and lead through service.
People Operations Department
- People Operations manages each employee’s life cycle with us, with a focus on contracting, benefits, compensation, payroll, and date-driven performance management.
- We are the first point of contact on most issues for our team members, ensuring our policies support and encourage a strong and effective team.
- Working across hundreds to thousands of employees, we work at scale, with large amounts of data, leveraging technology to improve employee systems and support.
About the Role
- As the Manager, People for our office in Edo, you encompass all things People for this office.
- You will lead employee experience, people operations and administration functions within People. You will also support our talent acquisition efforts as we expand rapidly.
- As you deliver on your primary functions, you will also be asked to lead or support cross-functional projects for development and execution across our territories and support offices.
What You Will Do
- You will proactively manage and monitor the effectiveness of Human Resources policies and procedures across all staff,at our academies and across the region.
- You will manage investigations and grievances processes in conjunction with departments and Legal. The person will coordinate correspondences and communications between the people team and employees; ensure that management views are clearly and fairy represented.
- The manager will also be in charge of managing employee welfare initiatives; ensure that the Company understands employee motivations and needs/wants.
- You will proactively organize trainings across the Company to ensure that employees are updated on the skills they need. The manager will lead in considering new systems, tools, and processes to improve the ongoing service delivery operations of Human Resources.
- Managing payroll and personnel documents as well as working with the Director, People on specific HR projects.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or other related field with top academic marks; MBA / Graduate Degree or HR professional membership a plus.
- Minimum of five years of significant leadership experiences in operational roles for rapidly scaling companies.
- Strong analytical thinker, ideally with previous experience in board commercial and operational areas
- Self-starter; highly driven individual that will take ownership from the get-go and proactively look for improvement
- Emerging markets experience a major plus
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to work with a very diverse workforce
- Strong project management skills.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver– Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that,we work in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.