Medecins du Monde (MdM) Job Recruitment
Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Finance and Compliance Manager
Context of the Mission
- Since February 2016, as humanitarian access is increasing, extreme food insecurity and malnutrition conditions have been revealed in Borno state.
- As of 3rd August, 1.82 million people are estimated to be displaced within/from of Borno state, from which 1.63 million actually stayed within the state. Most of them (more than 1.2m) are living in Maiduguri with the host community and others in formal and informal camps.
- Violence in the northeast has caused massive displacement and at the same time restricted movement: it has disrupted food supplies, seriously hindered access to basic services, and limited agricultural activities. In seven years of conflict, over 20,000 people have been killed in Boko Haram-related incidents
- The entire population of northeast Nigeria – 24.5 million people – is indirectly affected. People affected by violence in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe, and neighbouring Bauchi, Taraba, and Gombe states are in urgent need of protection, shelter, food, and access to health services and education
- As Finance and Compliance Manager, you will support the Finance Coordinator in managing budget of an approx. 4 million € yearly budget involving 3 institutional donors funding the Nigeria mission, managed from Maiduguri, from 2 different hubs.
- You will work under the direct supervision of the Finance Coordinator based in Maiduguri
- You will ensure proper information sharing with the different members of the Nigeria Coordination.
You will directly supervise:
- 1 Programme Accountant and 1 Finance Assistant staff based in Maiduguri
You will be the technical referent for the following staff:
- The FFU is updated every month and The FFU meeting is done every month at field level
- The Finance team is trained and autonomous on his functions
- Monthly accountancy is submitted to HQ by 15th of every month
- Finance and Administration Officer based in Damboa
- Partners’ administration or finance staffs
- Focus on the 3 priority activities relative to the context of the mission:
- Assist to ensure that all administrative documents are properly filed and archived
- Assist Supervise the accountancy closure, and ensure deadline are respected
- Integrate the new donor contracts into the financial management of the mission’s projects
- Assist Oversee Nigeria Coordination accounting and finance functions
- Ensure that Nigeria Coordination Administrative, Accountancy and cash flow procedures, tools and software are used in the missions
- Ensure that expenses are justified according to MdM France and donor’s procedures.
- Assist in preparing financial reports to donors
- Ensure that expenditures for budgets, grants and contracts are monitored and the reports are prepared to maintain balance account
- Train the mission’s senior staff in how to use the Budget Follow up
- Assist manage the Budget Follow-up (BFU) and provide financial information and analysis to the Finance Coordinators within the mission budget cycle
- Take part in the development of the reference budget together with the Finance Coordinator and in the construction of the annual budgetary frame.
- Take part in donor’s visit with the Finance Coordinator and to present the updated budget and analysis.
- Daily management of the safe, and of needed transfers with cash box or change operations
- Supervise of safe movements in SAGA and update of compliant supporting documents
- Elaborate monthly cash requests with the team for the program and support services; and communicate to the Finance coordinator
- Ensure cash security rules for the mission are implemented and that MdM-France procedures and tools are being used for cash flow management (bank account, safe, cash box, advances);
- Ensure the transfer of funding for the Nigeria Mission
- Develop cash flow projections for funded and support activities
- Follow up and ensure advances are closed at end of each month.
- Effectively stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules and regulations including match/co-financing rules; compile and update applicable local policies; and train program and partner staff in these policies
- Assist develop and maintain local office policies and procedures and provide training for all issues related to local financial matters.
- Participate in internal/external audits and reviews as required to ensure compliance with MdM France procedures and donor’s requirements
Relation with Partners:
- Train, support and build administrations capacities of implementing partner staff in compliance with MdM France Procedures, in close coordination with the Finance Coordinator
- Ensure that monthly financial reports from partners are respecting MdM France procedures
- Effectively stay abreast of the MoUs between MdM France and partners for the finance chapters
- Review and monitor partners with financial reporting and compliance. Provide additional assistance with the Finance team to partners when required
- Contribute to country team-building efforts; build constructive internal relationships; help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Liaise and work in close coordination with Finance Coordinator, when required
- Create a sustainable work environment of mutual respect that attracts motivated, skilled and effective team members and enables them individually and collectively to strive to achieve excellence.
- Train the Programme Accountant and Admin assistants based in Maiduguri and log admin based in Damboa
- Ensure proper archiving of financial contracts and correspondence with donors
- Support Finance Coordinator in relationships with the administrative authorities at the national level
- This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
- S/he ensures efficient circulation of information to field and capital teams
- S/he drafts or participates in the drafting of internal activity reports for everything dealing with financial, budgetary, issues for the mission.
- S/he ensures proper finance coordination at mission level by regular visits to the bases, controls, monitoring, training, etc
Hierarchical & Functional links:
- The Finance and Compliance Manager is under the direct responsibility of the Finance Coordinator
- S/he supports and ensures close relation between the finance teams involved in the Nigeria mission
Background of the Candidate
- Language: English (Fluent)
- Computer skills
- Excellent excel skills
- French: Added value.
- Sex: indifferent
- Humanitarian experience: Yes
- Nationality: No preference
- Emergency experience: Yes
- Coordination experience: Yes
- Excellent computer skills
- Experience in multi-donors’ budgets and multi-countries grants
- Training and capacity-building experience
- Knowledge of Saga is an asset
- Experience of 4-5 years minimum in a similar position
- Experience in negotiations and relations with partners in a moving and difficult legal, administrative and political context
Personal Skills Required:
- Ability to classify and to manage priorities
- Listening and diplomacy skills
- Team spirit
- Ability to work in an unstable and volatile context.
- Ability to work under a minimum of supervision, autonomous
- Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
- Organizational skills, rigor, detail-oriented
Job Title: Finance Assistant
- Under the supervision of the Programme, the Finance Assistant will be responsible for the following main activities in accordance to national and MdM procedures:
Cash Box Management:
- Perform daily/weekly/and monthly cash control with Finance Officer.
- if necessary, realize the payment of monthly per-diem and advance of salary according to MdM procedures for the international staff
- Management of safety envelop for international staff (payment and refund in and out)
- Make payments according to MdM procedures.
- Keep the cash and cash boxes safe and according procedures.
- Estimate petty cash, and make request to the Administrative Coordinator for replenishment.
- Make cash advances for operation to validated staff after validation of the Finance Coordinator and ensure that all advance are reconciled/closed by the end of the week & month.
- Prepare (glue and copy) and archive all necessary documents for monthly accountancy in accordance with MdM procedures: accountancy (ledger, cash controls) and annexes.
- Complete the monthly closing operation of the cash accounts in accountancy after validation of Finance Coordinator, in the schedule fixed and send the documents required
- Keep the administrative archive on the mission (do the copies, classify and archive)
- Support to look for invoices when required
- Enter invoices & payments data regularly into accountancy software (saga) in accordance with MdM standards and to the accountancy and budget framework.
- Prepare the payment of expenses related to the daily operation of the MdM programs, according to MdM procurement procedures (Mission Request, Purchase order, contract, invoices & receipts, quotations, and proformas etc.)
- Double check of records, according to MdM & donor procedures
- Verify that all the receipts/invoices are correctly filled and they are eligible for MdM accountancy (indicating: date, details of the supplier, clearly written the amount with the stamp PAID);
- Realize copying and filing and scanning, especially for accountancy
- Assist during organization of trainings, accommodation and transportation.
- Develop filing system for administration department, and after validation of Administrative Coordinator,
- Prepare a summary of weekly activities
- Participate in a pro-active way to the improvement of the MdM internal meetings (general, admin, security…)
- Inform immediately the security focal point in case of any security problem
- Perform other additional duties on request of the Finance Coordinator
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties
- At least two years’ work experience in the field of finance/accounting/bookkeeping in an INGO or the commercial sector.
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
- Excellent organizational skills, self-motivated, proactive and able to accomplish set deadlines.
- Willing to meet deadlines with minimum supervision.
- University Degree in Finance / Accounting / Commerce / Business Administration.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment via email to: [email protected] clearly indicating “Finance and Compliance Manager” as the subject of their application.
Note: Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated.
Application Deadline 6th March, 2020.