MNCH+Nutrition Advisor, Breakthrough ACTION
JOB TITLE: MNCH+Nutrition Advisor, Breakthrough ACTION
TEAM: Nigeria Country Office
LOCATION: Abuja, Nigeria with frequent travel to implementing States
POST TYPE: National
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Save the Children is looking for an experienced development professional to work within the Nigeria Country Programme. This role will be critical for the delivery of results for children.
Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
Breakthrough ACTION (BA) is a five-year cooperative agreement from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to lead USAID’s social and behavior change (SBC) programming around the world. Breakthrough ACTION/Nigeria (BA/N) focuses on malaria; maternal, newborn, and child health including nutrition (MNCH+N); family planning (FP); and tuberculosis (TB); and increasing the capacity of national and sub-national entities to coordinate and oversee quality SBC programming. BA/N will collaborate closely with the relevant USAID service delivery and commodities implementation partners from the outset to ensure seamless coordination between supply, demand, and quality of services. BA/N will work at the national level and in 11 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Three states will implement an integrated SBC approach, seven states will impl ement a malaria-only SBC approach, and FCT will implement an FP-only SBC approach.
The MNCH+Nutrition Advisor will provide technical leadership and advice to other programme staff on the Breakthrough-Action project, staff in the programme states and Ministry of Health officials at state and LGA level in the area of MNCH+ Nutrition. Within the project, the MNCH+N Advisor reports to the Deputy Director-Integrated SBC. S/he is responsible for will provide technical inputs on MNCH+N related issues both at the Abuja level and state levels. They will also assist operational planning and implementation and provide technical assistance to the BA-N state teams on MNCH+N issues. S/he works closely with the various teams within the BA-N Abuja office including the Capacity and Sustainability Team, the SBC and Innovations Team, the Monitoring and Quality Assurance Team, as well as the BA-N stat e teams in Bauchi, Kebbi, and Sokoto.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Administratively, this position reports up through the Save the Children structure, specifically to the Head of Nutrition. However, on a day-to-day basis this position is located within the BA-Nigeria office, and reports to his/ her designated line manager as per the BA-Nigeria office structure.
Staff directly reporting to this post:
* Under the supervision of the DPD-Integrated SBC and supported by the Head of Nutrition, provide technical assistance to the BA-N team on planning, coordination, training, and monitoring and evaluation of programme activities related to social and behaviour change on MNCH+Nutrition within BA-N’s Integrated SBC strategic approach.
* Establish and maintain a good working relationships with Government actors supporting MNCH+Nutrition efforts at National, State and LGA levels.
* Provide technical assistance to the State level government counterparts to build their capacity to implement SBC for MNCH+Nutrition.
* Participate in meetings, seminars, debriefings and MNCH+Nutrition related events.
* Write and contribute to reporting including monthly, quarterly and annual reports as required by the project, and case studies, and lessons learned etc.
* Participate in the design and implementation of assessments and evaluation studies related to MNCH+Nutrition.
* Support the work of consultants in the States as needs arise.
* Represent Breakthrough Action at national level meetings.
* Prepare and present presentations for review and planning meetings or any relevant programme dissemination events.
* Provide mentoring and capacity building for programme teams in the BA-N Abuja HQ and state level offices and for implementing partners in relation to social and behaviour change for MNCH+Nutrition.
* Support State level staff to prepare, implement, follow up and monitor plans for all capacity building efforts and to organise programme activities related to MNCH+Nutrition.
* Reach out to stakeholders implementing MNCH+Nutrition interventions at the State level and promote coordination.
* Collaborate, coordinate and exchange best practices and lessons learned with other MNCH+Nutrition related projects implemented by Save the Children in the country and globally.
* Ensure that project activities are in line with the local law and international standards, laws, and policies, in all activities
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
* Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
* Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
* Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
* Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
* Future orientated, thinks strategically
* Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
* Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
* Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
* Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
* Willing to take disciplined risks
* Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Essential skills requirement:
* Post-graduate qualification in Nutrition, public health, MNCAH, or a closely related field.
* At least 5 years of extensive experience implementing MNCH+Nutrition programming.
* Experience in SBCC, health promotion, or similar public health programmes in Nigeria.
* In-depth knowledge and understanding of current evidence-based internationally agreed global strategies and interventions for MNCH+Nutrition in the reduction of maternal, child and newborn mortality and how to operationalize these
* In-depth knowledge of the MNCH+Nutrition programming, including best practices in social and behaviour change for MNCH+Nutrition and awareness of practices that are no longer considered “evidence-based”
* Familiarity with existing national policies, guidelines and programs in the context of MNCH+Nutrition in Nigeria
* Proven experience in SBCC strategy and materials development, implementation, and monitoring & evaluation of SBCC interventions
* Experience in providing technical support to partners, particularly government at senior levels.
* Expertise in project leadership and management, including organizational development and staff management.
* Excellent reporting and analytical skills.
* Excellent communication, interpersonal and advocacy skills.
* Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
* Ability to work in a team.
* Willing and able to work in a challenging environment and have the ability to adapt to changing circumstances and to respond with flexibility and creativity.
* Experience of working in Northern Nigeria will be of added value.
* Experience in working with NGOs, CSOs, FBOs will be of added value.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.