Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Specialist
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT:** 2001136
Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Specialist
: 12/Jun/2020, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FRNIR
: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
Duration: Up to 11 months
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
Under the general oversight of the FAO Representative (FAOR) and direct supervision of the Deputy FAO Representative (DFAOR) and Head of the FAO North East Sub-Office, and in close collaboration with the Emergency Programme Coordinator, and under the technical guidance of the MEAL teams in the Resilience team in Dakar (REOWA) and PSE (Rome), the Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Specialist will be expected to provide technical advice towards strengthening the link between needs assessments and response in close coordination with Implementing Partners and all relevant stakeholders.
The Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Specialist reports to the FAO Representative in Nigeria.
The Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Specialist will be responsible for the design, coordination and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation, accountability, and learning framework of FAO programme.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Manage and supervise the MEAL team;
- Lead the development of a Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) system for the FAO emergency and resilience response in North East Nigeria;
- Develop a suitable MEAL framework and monitoring plans for the programme and its projects so as to provide, in a timely manner, the data/information needed on project progress in terms of results (outputs, outcomes and impacts), with which to guide and advise on improvements/adjustments to the project/programme implementation strategy, and generate learning through active engagement with all relevant actors involved in implementation;
- Design, implement and report technical studies, impact assessments and evaluations on resilience and food security under the technical guidance of the MEAL and RIMA teams in HQ and REOWA;
- Ensure that electronic database for all FAO beneficiaries of the North East Nigeria programme is functional;
- Identify and assess context-appropriate remote monitoring modalities and tools and integrate them into the MEAL system where applicable by engaging and managing Third Party Monitoring (TPM) contractors to ensure that quality data are generated effectively;
- Ensure required collection, tabulation, storage, analysis and reporting of relevant monitoring data including, inter alia, post-distribution monitoring, crop yields and annual assessments , to monitor the progress of outputs and measure the impact of FAO’s programme;
- Ensure the continued monitoring and reporting of all project/programme activities against work plans (annual and quarterly) and results frameworks (logframes), undertake periodic travel to project sites for monitoring/follow up of field activities, and identify activities/areas requiring follow-up to alert the Management in case of significant deviation from expected outputs and outcomes;
- Conduct pre- and post-evaluations of trainings/workshops and pilot activities;
- Provide support to FAO implementing partners to facilitate knowledge transfer, streamline MEAL tools and ensure a harmonized approach;
- Provide support to the Reporting and Communications Officer, Programme staff and FAO implementing partners to generate learning and mainstream Accountability to Affected populations (AAP) in the programme;
- Strengthen FAO’s partnership monitoring system and its integration with corporate information tools;
- Coordinate with the Emergency Programme Coordinator and Operation Officers to ensure regular and timely reporting from partners by monitoring and following up with state-based coordinators and Implementing Partners (IPs);
- Contribute to project reporting and support the formulation and preparation of concept notes, project proposals and project documents;
- Conduct regular and ad hoc training of FAO and IP staff on M&E Data collection, particularly for surveys to be conducted within the given MEAL strategy/framework;
- Act as focal point for independent evaluations conducted by the FAO Office of Evaluation (OED) and in coordinating management response and follow-up in implementing evaluation recommendations;
- Represent FAO in evaluation taskforces with UN and other partners and stakeholders;
- Support the Head of Office and Emergency Programme Coordinator with MEAL-related issues as and when required, and actively participate in relevant technical and coordination meetings;
- Any other tasks as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree in Economics, Statistics, Rural Development, Social Sciences or closely related technical field;
- At least 5 years (category B) of relevant experience in MEAL applied to food security and/or agricultural programmes;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of any other official language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese French, Spanish and Russian).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Relevant work experience in MEAL applied to food security and/or agricultural programmes;
- Excellent knowledge of MEAL tools and methodologies applied in food security, resilience and agricultural interventions;
- Working knowledge of advanced statistics with ability to use statistical software packages (i.e. SPSS and R);
- Good knowledge of using and programming questionnaires in Open data kits (in particular Kobo toolbox);
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook);
- Ability to perform in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary context.
- Experience in complex/protracted emergencies would be an asset;
- Experience in conflict sensitive and peacebuilding programmes would be an asset;
- Field experience in implementing MEAL activities and strategies.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
If you are in possession of language certificate/s from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT), please attach the certificate/s when submitting the application.
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
How to apply:
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]**
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT