MRB Study Data Abstractors (Clinician) Consultant
The TIPTOP project aims to reduce malaria during pregnancy significantly by increasing pregnant women’s access to quality assured Sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine through a community directed intervention that complements existing comprehensive antenatal care in reaching more women and their babies with the lifesaving medicines. The project aims to test the hypothesis that the use of community health workers to identify and refer pregnant women to attend antenatal care (ANC); and distribute quality assured SP to eligible pregnant women who could not attend ANC can increase IPTp coverage in project districts without decreasing ANC contacts. TIPTOP will evaluate the effectiveness of community-IPTp using aggregate data but in Nigeria the use of Maternity Record Booklet (MRB) provides a unique opportunity to assess the effectiveness of CHWs using individual level data, which does not rely on the woman’s self-report of services received and care and is, therefore, less subject to bias. The MRB is a tool for capturing health indices of pregnant women attending antenatal care and giving birth in facilities. The Maternal Child Survival Program, a USAID multi-country program, introduced it in Ebonyi State from 2015 to 2018, and when the TIPTOP project began, it revised the MRB to include IPTp3+ and eight ANC contacts in line with the current national IPTp and ANC guidelines.
Jhpiego is conducting a study on the effect of community distribution by community health workers on IPTp3 uptake in Ohaukwu, Ebonyi State Nigeria, and is seeking a clinician to abstract data from the Maternity Record Booklet.
The key tasks for the MRB Study Data Abstractors- (Clinician) Consultant will include:
· Provide guidance to service providers, identify MRBs of pregnant women attending antenatal care, labour and delivery in all the sites appropriately completed in the maternity record booklet (starting from Sept., 2018)
· Check the appropriateness of the filling of MRB by service providers and investigate information that may be missing.
· Collect Important information from the MRB and transcribing, recording, storing and maintaining that information into discrete fields into the appropriate software within the established deadlines.
· Identify potential areas of concern, interpret actual trends and develop reports that display variances from established standards of care.
· Summarize findings and draw conclusions, maintain on- going variance reports and communicate findings to providers.
· Participate in scheduled meetings.
· Any other duties as assigned by the project director.
Required Skills and Competence
· Bachelor’s degree in Nursing
· Nurse/Midwife with commanding respect in Ebonyi State.
· Minimum 3 years in related field is required.
· Must be familiar with the project focal communities, and working experience at the primary health care level
· Must be resident in Ebonyi state, and preferably in Ohaukwu Local Government Area.
· Ability to provide antenatal care, labour and delivery services
· Demonstrated ability to use android phone to record service statistics provided within the context of antenatal care, labour and delivery services
· Ability to provide supportive supervision, develop action plan and influence the implementation of the action to improve performance among frontline health care providers in the primary health care centers
· Ability to work with minimum supervision in a very complex environment
· Ability to write activity report **
· Ability to work under the pressure, with minimum supervision and on-distance;
· Demonstrated initiative, tact and high sense of responsibility and discretion;
· Strong teamwork skills;
· Excellent communication skills, written and oral;
· Strong computer literacy and data analytical proficiency
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated CV to [email protected] using Job title e.g. “ MRB Study Data Abstractors- (Clinician) Consultant” as the subject of the email.
Application Closing date:
Close of Business Monday 31st August 2020
· CV and Cover Letter as ONE SINGLE WORD document
· The title/subject of your email and application should be the position you are applying for.
· Candidates that do not comply with the application instruction will be disqualified.
· Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
· We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
· Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview
· Any successful candidate will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
· There will be travel requirements and opportunities both within Nigeria.
· JHU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at www.jhpiego.org