Nigeria: Consultancy to Develop a Website for the Social Protection
Terms of Reference: Development of the Social Protection Community of Practice Website
Type of Contract (tick the appropriate box)
Development of the Social Protection Community of Practice Website
To Support the Ministry of Finance Budget and National Planning (MFBNP) to develop an interactive website with collaborative functionality, accessible over the public Internet and hyperlinked to the Ministry’s website as a hub of learning and engagement on Social Protection in Nigeria.
March – May 2020 (20 days over 2 months)
To support effective learning, coordination and partnerships among members within the social protection sector, the Ministry of Budget and National Planning (MFBNP) has supported the establishment and the running of a Social Protection Community of Practice (CoP). Among other objectives, the SP-CoP aims to bring together, key actors of Social Protection to develop an effective and coordinated mechanism for accessible sharing of information as well as fostering strategic coordination, cohesive reporting and advocacy to decision-makers.
While the CoP has continued to meet and consistently exchange knowledge and information, a number of gaps exist which affect the groups’ effectiveness and performance. Among these gaps, is the limited number of platforms to support information sharing, networking and collaboration. In response to this, the following Terms of Reference (ToR) provides details for an assignment to develop a web-based knowledge sharing and learning application that will provide an additional platform for the Social Protection Community of Practice.
The purpose of the web resource is to use innovation to support the functions and effectiveness of the community of practice. Also, the website will allow for greater collaboration and networking among members as well as possibilities for virtual learning environment, meeting calendar and joint projects. It will function as an interactive repository that supports continuous learning, storage of social protection publications, training manuals, policy briefs, position papers and all relevant Social Protection documents.
To ensure sustainability and better access for all relevant stakeholders, the website would be accessible via the MFBNP website as the Ministry is the secretariat for the Community of Practice.
The SP-CoP website will be developed to support the following functions:
* Social Protection Learning Hub
* Collaborative platform and increase access to information for better understanding of social protection content to engage constructively between practitioners and experts within the national, regional and global social protection space;
* Serve as a central repository for social protection publications, SP Training manual developed by CDGP, policy briefs, position papers and all relevant SP documents;
* Pave way for evidence based referencing and accountability measures on outlook for social protection in Nigeria to research fellows, Partners and Civil Society constituents;
* Ensure transparency for various Social Protection research, surveys, studies, reports and avoid duplication of research topics;
* Support increased networking and collaboration by supporting communication.
Scope of Work:
This consultancy will be conducted in close collaboration with MFBNP, CDGP and selected members of the SP-CoP.
The consultant will be expected to:
* Collate user requirements, suggest solutions, design and develop website;
* Deploy expertise in ensuring UX and UI principles (i.e. simplicity, visibility, and structure etc) are observed during process of web development.
* Design and develop the website to specification ensuring platform security and performance is optimized for web traffic.
* Design interfaces (plan new features) to improve user experience in collaboration with MFBNP, CDGP and IT teams;
The consultant will be responsible for implementing and developing a variety of communication pieces including email announcements, communications and training materials as agreed.
The website should have the following functionality:
* Accessible on the website Ministry of Finance Budget and National Planning
* Secured & Authenticated Access
* Level of Access Rights
1.Guests: Users with Read permission;
2.Forum Members: Can post, read and delete self-posts
3.Moderator: post / write, read, and Delete permission;
4.Administrator – Full control
* Discussion Forum: The app should be capable of hosting a quick and basic level of discussion with and w/o moderation of comments and subscription (Email Alerts for updates)
* Search Functionality: Basic and Advance Search functions
* Able to accommodate contents – articles, documents, photo, video, Music
* Document repository / Archive.
* Online Service support chat functionality especially on the home page.
* Collaboration – Online Forum that allows for topics / threads.
* Have a progressive web app for android smartphones – suggested during the meeting.
(*All Photographs and other digital material on the website must have the correct copyright and consent form signed.)
IT Acceptance Criteria
The consultant is expected to fulfill the below IT acceptance criteria:
* The design of the website, its development and deployment will be done by the vendor / consultant in consultation with the Ministry of Finance Budget and Planning and the CDGP Team.
* The vendor will provide Credential, Configuration Documentation and Installation Guide/Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) which should clearly state how to manage the website. The SCI IT Manager or designated team member must approve all configurations and sign off prior to overall project closure
The assignment will be implemented under overall guidance of the Knowledge Management Coordinator for CDGP and MFBNP. The consultant is expected to regularly liaise with the KM Coordinator and MFBNP throughout the process, from inception to handover of the application. The consultant is also expected to regularly interact with the SCI IT Manager and members of the SCI Info SP CoP for clearance of deliverables.
Tasks, Deliverables and Timeframe:
2.Present options, best practice and advise on possibilities.
Present Inception Report.
3.Conceptualizes, design and implement the layout of the Website, content development, graphics, logos and banners as required by the client. Vendor should design and complete website using latest technology within a given time frame and guidelines.
Upload content on to the Website (Content to be provided by the CDGP team and SP COP)
Testing and Validation
4.Handover and capacity building
* Understand our requirements and receive proposed sitemaps.
* Agreed Taxonomy / sitemap / Layout / Features / Hosting options
* Inception Report.
* Inception report, draft site map and agreed hosting and licensing.
* Website prototype
* Design and user manuals
* Handover of all relevant design and user documents in digital and physical format.
* Training of CDGP and MFBNP staff to manage and maintain the Site.
* Face –to-Face
* Face-to-Face OR Remote meeting
* Emailing / Remote meeting
* Email / Face to Face
* Face to Face
* Day 1
* Day 2
* Day 3 – 4
* Day 5 – Day 17
* Day 18
* Day 20
Qualifications and Experience:
* Graduate degree Computer Science or relevant field
* Evidence of similar work done
* Proven work experience as a Web and Mobile developer;
* Demonstrable portfolio of released web and mobile applications;
* Knowledge of CMS and website configuration
* Experience with third-party libraries and APIs;
* Excellent analytical skills with a good problem-solving attitude;
* Ability to perform in a team environment;
* Good communication skills (verbal and written);
* Excellent organizational skills;
* Ability to manage a large workload in a pressured environment, working to short and long term objectives and tight deadlines;
* Attention to detail and ability to follow tasks and ideas through to completion.
* Understanding of NGO operations;
* Competency in Microsoft Office, design software and other digital tools;
* Strong interpersonal skills;
* A commitment to the Save the Children values.
Conditions of Service:
The following general conditions shall apply:
* The contractor shall provide the workspace, office equipment, supplies, etc.
* Expected expenses should be part of the submitted quotation/estimates
* No contract may commence unless the contract is signed by both SCI and the consultant or Contractor.
* The documents produced during the period of this consultancy will be treated as strictly confidential, and the rights of distribution and/ or publication will reside solely with SCI Nigeria
* The contract signed with the consultant will include other general terms defined by SCI Nigeria.
Individuals interested in this assignment should submit a detailed proposal via the SCI recruitment platform before the deadline date:
This should include but not limited to the following:
* CV (CV should include contact details of at least 3 referees who the consultant has done similar work for in the past) and Cover letter;
* A proposed work-plan as regards this consultancy.
* Sample listing of similar work done (to include the website links).
* Detailed budget of all likely expenses associated with this consultancy.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All representatives are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.