NIGERIA – SUPPLY MANAGER (H/F) – MAIDUGURI
Desired start date: ASAP**
Duration of the mission: **6 months
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria.
ABOUT THE MISSION
Nigeria has been going through an acute political and military crisis for years, which has affected millions of lives. Solidarités International (SI) has been answering the needs of displaced populations, as well as host communities in the Borno State for almost 4 years. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood. 7 programs are currently running:
- Multi-sectorial project over 3 years in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba and Hawul
- Logistic Platform project in Monguno
- Emergency WASH and Shelter response on all 4 Borno bases
- Emergency WASH in Health in Maiduguri and Monguno
- Emergency WASH in Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
- WASH response for vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Dikwa
- Emergency WASH response for new onset manmade disaster in Ngala
To learn more about what we do in Nigeria, please click here.
More than 220 people (approx. 200 Nigerian staff and 20 international staff) are working on the Nigeria mission today. They are operating from 5 different locations:
- Liaison office: Abuja.
- Coordination office: Maiduguri.
- Operational bases: Maiduguri, Monguno, NGala and Dikwa.
The mission has a forecasted budget of more than EUR 11M. Europaid, ECHO, OFDA, CDC and the UN (NHF, WFP) currently fund it. SI is confident in the mission’s**potential to grow in the upcoming years.**
You’ll join one of the last humanitarian actors still operating in the area – thus remaining faithful to its mission:**taking aid further.**
ABOUT THE JOB
WHY WE NEED YOU
SI Nigeria mission needs a dedicated supply manager to lead the smooth running of the entire supply chain. As this is a transversal position to the mission, you will support all the ongoing projects. More specifically, you are responsible for all supplies operations at the coordination level, in Maiduguri, which includes the management of the supply team.
Please note that this is an expatriateposition.
What you will do
To successfully complete your mission, you will:
- Be responsible for the supply management
That includes, but is not limited to: purchasing environment analysis, preparing / tracking / updating documentation (price lists, supplier files, internal order forms, ) apply SI’s procedures, budget follow-up, supervising purchasing activities; select suppliers and lead negotiations with them…
- Coordinate the storage
Select storage locations and ensure security of those premises; ensure material is stored under suitable conditions and monitor expiration dates; enforce storage management procedures; ensure entry and exit of stock are monitored and documented; check that all documentation linked to stock is complete and correct; supervise monthly physical stock inventory…
- Manage the freight
Supervise the reception of the materials from all SI bases and from head quarter, following closely each reception ; organize and supervise the freight from Maiduguri to all SI bases; Select the best transport mean, adapted to the freight and the security situation; ensure necessary authorizations are obtained.
- Manage staff
Carry on a daily follow-up; lead performance reviews; organize coordination meetings
- Carry on reporting and communication activities
Ensure the compilation of price and supplier lists, as well as information in use (import-export, exemption, taxes); ensure that internal order forms are monitored and that the status of each order is given to the person waiting; consolidate logistics packs monthly and pass on to the logistics coordinator; provide the logistics coordinator with all information needed to draft intermediary and final reports; pass on purchasing reports for closed programs to the coordinators at the established frequency
Your priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Market assessment, especially at the field/bases level
- Renewal of all expired Framework Agreements, and launch new framework for markets to be identified
- Update/ensure the update of suppliers’ data base with all relevant information for all bases
- In collaboration with Logistics Coordinator, conduct a SWOT analysis of the mission’s supply chain processes and update current supply chain memo.
- You’ll be part of the support services team, which includes a finance department, an HR department and a logistics department.
- You’ll directly manage the supply team, and have functional reports on the bases: logistics managers, stock and freight managers, procurement managers.
- You’ll be under the direct management of the Logistics Coordinator.
- You’ll be in touch with the program team, which is led by a Deputy Country Director for Programs, and is made of a Cholera task force department, an FSL department, a WASH department, a MEAL department, a Grants management department.
You’ll also be in touch regularly with your desk in HQ – and especially the logistics technical advisor, whose members are here to provide frameworks, support and advice.
Main skills needed
- 1 year of experience on a similar position
- Negotiation skills +++
- Strong sense of responsibilities and ethics
- Extremely good organization and prioritization skills
- Ability and willingness (enthusiasm!) to coordinate and liaise with internal and external actors
- Fluent in Excel AND in English
Previous experience with SI is a plus.
Do not apply if …
- You are easily stressed out
- You do not have the following: diplomatic skills, patience, perseverance / endurance, intercultural skills.
- You are not in love with Excel
- You are scared when you hear the words “donors”, “external partners”, “capacity building”, and “boreholes”.
- You are not comfortable with processes, remote management, HQ involvement.
- You don’t like working in a fast paced-environment, you are not field-oriented or do not have a hands-on mentality.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
Salary: According to experience, starting from EUR 1980 gross per month (EUR 1800 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
Monthly Per Diem: USD 600
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of residence and the mission.
- 1 break of 7 working days every 3 months + USD 850 allowance (for each break).
- 1 day off per worked month.
Possibility to spend a weekend to Abuja every 6 weeks, on demand, and if allowed by context. Ticket paid by SI.
These days off, as well as the breaks, are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary: they are offered by SI.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The Supply Manager lives in SI’s compound – “guest house” (GH) with the other international staff. He/she has private room and shares the bathroom and the kitchen. The GH is next to the office and located in a residential area.
The expatriates are from different backgrounds and nationalities. They are hard-workers, highly involved in their jobs, but they are united and work well together. They also enjoy spending time together on a regular basis.
Despite the current political and humanitarian context in Borno state, Maiduguri provide proper living conditions. Electricity is available at the office and at the GH (except a small period during the night), communication and internet are available, either on the SI provided network or the 4G network. All essential goods (food, hygiene etc..) can be bought locally in the small shops around the office, or in the pre-validated supermarket. There is a dense social life in Maiduguri, and visits to other NGOs are possible, as well as some pre-validated places.
The constraints related to security do exist (movement restrictions, curfew at 9:30PM.), but they are bearable, as they allow personal activities.
How to apply:
Are you in? Please send us your CV AND Cover letter in English via this link: https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?id=PULFK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NX4&nPostingTargetID=51770. Yes, we do read those. We do not need a 3 pages-long letter that details everything you’ve done so far though – that’s what your CV is for!
However we would really like to know why you are interested in this mission / SI. A few paragraphs are completely acceptable, and we are ok with bullet points.
Please bear in mind that we receive a high volume of applications, which means it can take us a few weeks to get in touch with you.
If you are shortlisted, please not that SI’s recruitment process usually includes: an HR interview, reference checks, written test, technical interview.
Eventually, please note that the vacancy may close before the deadline.
If you haven’t made up your mind yet, check our website.