Nutrition Assistants at the Community Health Justice and Peace Initiative for Development (JDPH) – 2 Openings
Community Health Justice and Peace Initiative for Development (JDPH) is a National Non-Governmental Organization working in the Catholic province of Jos, aimed at uplifting the living standard of rural and urban communities through capacity building and rendering lifesaving interventions in partnership with communities for a better society and good governance. Over the years, we and our partners have continued to provide developmental and humanitarian assistance to the most vulnerable people in rural and crisis affected locations. We are committed to providing emergency relief services, empowering communities to be more resilient, embracing a culture of peaceful co-existence and social justice for all.
In accomplishing our objectives, the JDPH will be carrying out General Food Distributions (GFD) through Cash Based Transfers (CBT) and Blanket Supplementary Program (BSFP) in Fune LGA, of Yobe state. This is aimed at preventing already vulnerable House Holds from falling into starvation and malnutrition, focusing particularly on young children 6 – 23/24 months and pregnant and lactating women and girls (PLW/G).
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Assistant
Job ID: JDPH / FSL / NT / 2021 / 007
Location: Fune LGA, Yobe
Employment Type: Contract
Open to Expatriates: No
- The Nutrition Assistant will provide support to the Nutrition Officer and Community Nutrition Mobilizers in the Project’s Communities in implementing the Blanket Supplementary Feeding Program (BSFP) of the JDPH and Infant and Young Child Feeding [IYCF]) and Mother to Child Support groups. Throughout the intervention the Nutrition Assistant will work towards ensuring quality delivery of nutritional component of the project.
Key Roles / Responsibilities
- Ensure quality of nutrition screening for children under-5 conducted by Community Nutrition Mobilizers in target Communities.
- Provision of Outreach OTP Services in target communities together with the outreach team.
- Ensure quality of IYCF counselling sessions provided individual level and group sessions
- With support from the Nutrition Officer, ensure quality cooking food demonstration sessions are conducted in Project supported Communities.
- Ensure that community nutrition interventions (MUAC screening and Referral, IYCF (MSGs, food demonstrations) and hygiene promotion are integrated
- Build capacity of CNMs/ field Assistants and Mother Leaders by providing on-the-job training on CMAM and IYCF.
- Support quality data collection of activities conducted in the Communities.
- Promote increasing awareness of appropriate nutrition behaviors in project communities by ensuring behavior change materials are visible in FFP supported communities and health facilities.
- Ensure quality and timely reporting on all areas of implementation
- Liaise closely with the MEAL officer so as to understand the project outcomes
- Support the development of case studies and success stories from programme implementation (for internal use).
- Any other additional responsibility as communicated by the supervisor
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Nutrition, Health, Public Health or any related fields.
- At least 2 years work experience
- Must have finished NYSC
- Previous experience in carrying out Nutrition activities with an NGO in a humanitarian setting.
- Good knowledge of protection principles in humanitarian settings, of vulnerability criteria and of the context in northern Nigeria.
- Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge:
- Sensitivity to the needs of a range of stakeholders and able to balance conflicting interests to create shared goals.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work.
- Maintains a calm disposition and positive outlook when working under pressure.
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy as well as with others.
- Fully appreciates of the value of cooperation within a team.
- Thinks creatively and strategically and translates strategy into practical action.
- Acceptable IT Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and a good command of the Hausa language.
Application Closing Date
12pm 11th January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their updated CV and Cover Letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post in English by mail to: [email protected]
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Given the urgency of vacancy, the position may be filled before the due date.
- For general information about the JDPH, kindly visit our website on www.jdph.org