Nutrition Program Officer at Helen Keller International
Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime
Founded in 1915, Helen Keller International is dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We combat the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition.
We currently have more than 180 programs in 21 African and Asian countr…
Read more about this company
Nutrition Program Officer
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 2 years
- Location Benue
- Job Field Medical / Healthcare  , NGO/Non-Profit
Reports to: Head of Nutrition Programs
Established in 1915, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We combat the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States.
Vitamin A Supplementation (VAS)
HKI works closely with the government of Nigeria to ensure high coverage of more than 80% of the target population with vitamin A. HKI also supports the training of health workers, program monitoring, community education and the delivery of vitamin A capsules. In 2001, HKI integrated vitamin A supplementation into Community Directed Treatment with Ivermectin (CDTI) as a cost-effective, sustainable strategy and a strong platform for community mobilization. Vulnerable groups, including children 6-59 months old and post-partum women within 8 weeks of delivery, were targeted. However, since 2009, HKI aligned with the Federal Government of Nigeria and adopted the bi-annual Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks (MNCH Weeks) as a high impact strategy to distribute Vitamin A capsules alongside other low-cost interventions that have been proven to be highly effective in reducing mortality rates and improving maternal and child health. HKI has received funding from GiveWell to implement a Vitamin A Supplementation program and conduct yearly post event coverage evaluation surveys in Benue State.
Under the supervision of the Head of Nutrition Programs, the Nutrition Program Officer implements, monitors and evaluate HKI Nigeria’s nutrition programs and projects in accordance with national protocols and policies.
- Liaise with the nutrition unit of the State Ministry of Health (SMOH) or State Primary Health Care Development Agencies (SPHCDA) to develop costed nutrition strategic work-plans.
- Support the state in advocating for timely allocation and release of funds to implement the bi-annual Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks.
- Support training of health personnel at State, LGA and Ward levels and facilitate training of independent monitors prior to the VAS campaign
- Provide technical assistance to and support implementation of nationwide bi-annual VAS through Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks.
- Analyze, interpret and present program data in useful formats and disseminate findings to relevant stakeholders to promote timely decision making and course correction
- Work closely with the State to conduct yearly Post Events Coverage Surveys after the VAS campaign, analyze results and share findings with relevant stakeholders for course correction during subsequent campaigns
- Maintain regular communication with other state nutrition program partners
- Facilitate program planning and review meetings on vitamin A supplementation
- Collaborate with partners to develop /roll out IEC / SBCC strategies and tools to support nutrition programs
- Actively participate in key relevant national and state level nutrition technical forums
- Work closely with State Nutrition Officers to strengthen technical reporting in accordance with defined reporting schedule and program indicators
- Track program progress using mutually agreed indicators, targets, and recommend remedial action to keep programs on course
- Contribute to and support the maintenance of an updated data base of technical program reports including site visits, monthly reports, quarterly and annual reports
- Participate in research to increase VAS coverage and other nutrition interventions
- Support the capacity building of nutrition program officers on relevant nutrition interventions
- Support the implementation of other relevant nutrition activities such as healthy lifestyle project, infant and young child feeding e.t.c.
- Perform any other duty as assigned
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirements
- Prior experience working in the field of VAS will be an added advantage
- Able to work under pressure minimal supervision and able to meet up deadlines
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft office, internet
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and a good team player
- Ability to analyze and interpret program data using SPSS statistical software
- Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentiality
- Ability to speak the local language is highly desirable and an added advantage
- Minimum of Masters’ degree in Nutrition or Food and Dietetics
- Or Bachelors’ in Nutrition plus a Master’s in Public Health or similar related field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience
Method of Application
Interested persons may send a comprehensive resume with a cover letter as ONE MS Word document to [email protected] using the position title as the subject of the email. Note that applications will not be accepted after 5pm on Friday January 22nd, 2021.
HELEN KELLER INTL
DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, TEST, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).
DOES NOT ASK FOR INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
DOES NOT RECRUIT THROUGH ANY RECRUITMENT AGENCY.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need to request an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact us via the email
Note: There are no relocation allowances available for this position.
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love