Operations Manager at BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development organisation, and we believe in the power of media and communication for good. We work in more than 20 countries around the world, supporting the independent media essential to democracy and development. Last year, our projects and programmes reached 130 million people facing poverty, inequality and insecurity with information they could trust, helping to improve health, bridge divides, challenge prejudice, and save and change lives. We follow the editorial standards and values of the BBC, but we rely on funding from donors and partners to carry out our work.
BBC Media Action delivers a portfolio of projects in Nigeria. It seeks to expand this portfolio of work, but also to ensure that existing projects are delivered on time, on budget, to the highest standards and in accordance with BBC editorial values and methodologies.
We are seeking talented professionals with the right experience to join our Nigeria team in the position below:
Job Title: Operations Manager
Reports to: Head of operations
Contract: Fixed-term employment
Duration: 12 months
- This role will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day administrative support functions across the organization.
- The operations manager will coordinate the use of resources and assets in the organization in line with donor requirements and organizational policies.
- This will include ensuring transparency in all procurement activities and mitigating any conflict of interest with vendors engaged by the organization.
- Human resources support functions will also be carried out by the operations manager and this will include ensuring that activation of staff benefits are regularly carried out and updated.
- The operations manager will be responsible for ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements that impact our operations and will work with such bodies and stakeholders that are involved in the process.
- BBC Media Action works to ensure that everyone we work with remains safe during their time with us.
- The operations manager will support the Head of Operations in ensuring that safeguarding is factored into interactions with vendors, regulators and other parties we engage with, and due diligence is conducted with any such bodies that may be working with vulnerable adults or children as part of our projects.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement and regularly update logistic systems and ensure their usage and standardization across the organization.
- Provide logistics support to different departments as well as ensuring appropriate deployment of logistics officers across outputs.
- Work closely with various departments and assist line managers to understand and implement office policies and procedures.
- Monitor all invoices, utility bills, and supervise and acknowledge job completion by contractors and suppliers.
- Coordinate the production and/or supply of office items supplies and ensure proper monitoring of usage and check validity of all administrative support requests received.
- Assist in updating HR staff records including updating staff contracts, recording annual leave, sick leave, compassionate leave etc.
- Coordinate the induction for new staff.
- Support in managing the dispatch of outputs to our partners and coordinate a seamless delivery process.
- Manage a comprehensive and accurate asset register for the organization and ensure all assets are regularly accounted for.
- Manage all official travel requests including driver deployment, flight and hotel bookings.
- Provide effective line management support for staff managed and staff development
- Oversee the office administrative support functions such as cleaning, the driving pool and prompt response to all support requisitions.
- Manage relationships with regulatory bodies and ensure compliance with statutory requirements.
- Process expatriates’ work permits and visa applications and ensure that applicable laws are strictly followed.
- Keep abreast of any new rules that might impact business operations and raise same with management as soon as possible.
- Support in managing all staff related issues and benefits including medical, group life and pension.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Interested candidates should possess relevant qualifications and work experience.
- Considerable knowledge of regulatory requirements for business operations in Nigeria.
- Excellent record keeping skills including database management.
- Proven ability to forge strong working relations quickly and gain the trust of internal and external publics.
- Demonstrable understanding of BBC editorial values.
- Experience working on own initiative and organizing time effectively within a range of often conflicting deadlines and demands.
- Excellent knowledge of database development and management using excel.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Participate in a mandatory briefing on Respect at Work, and ensure compliance with the staff code of conduct and its related policies.
Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the line manager or using the Whistleblowing Policy.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to BBC editorial values.
- Confident public speaker with experience of presentations to colleagues, partners and stakeholders.
- Proven ability to build consensus and inspire different teams or departments to work together to achieve goals.
- Good judgment and decision-making skills, including the ability to adapt, react and respond to crises, and to evaluate risk.
- Candidates must have the right to live and work in Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV with Cover Letter in English (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role, and availability status to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Only applicants with a separate cover letter will be considered.
- Please do not send certificates or other attachments.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
- BBC Media Action is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- This role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children, youth, and adults.
- For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.
- A police background check may form part of the recruitment process
Application Deadline 5pm; 20th December, 2021.