Payroll Officer at The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field office in town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria followed by offices in Yola (Adamawa state) in November 2014 and Maiduguri (Borno state) in October 2015. IRC has ECHO, OFDA, and Gates funds to respond to health, nutrition, GBV, and WASH activities. In late 2014 and early 2015, IRC received additional funds from SV, SIDA, USAID, and UNICEF to carry out education, child protection, general protection, emergency food distributions, shelter support, and NFI distributions to newly displaced IDPs. In late 2015 into early 2016, IRC received Swiss and UNHCR funds for additional emergency response humanitarian-focused programming in NE Nigeria.
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job Field
Human Resources / HR
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Under the direct supervision of HR Manager the Payroll Officer is responsible for providing support and assistance to the IRC staff and programs in matters related to Payroll through the HR department based in Maiduguri with support from the Payroll Officer in the Country Office Abuja
The duties of the Payroll Officer are as summarized below:
Primary and Fundamental Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the preparation and processing of payroll for all National employees with information received from the field
- Review and ensure accuracy of approved timesheets; track and deduct all and other statutory payroll deductions
- Responsible for the coordination efforts between payroll, human resources, Finance and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data (including preparation/distribution of detailed reports, e.g. labor” home” work, overtime, leave balances, head count, and Pension contribution reports are accurate )
- Monitor submissions of approved timesheets, ensure valid data transfers to/from payroll service
- Establish/maintain employee records; ensure that employee changes are entered correctly and made on a timely basis; review changes for proper authorization and adherence to IRC Policy including compliance with federal/state/local regulation
- Calculating and preparing payment request by cash, cheque or electronic transfer for Staff benefits and relocation allowance
- Deducting tax and national insurance payments
- Processing maternity pay, and expenses
- Calculating Acting Pay and pay increases
- Maintaining payroll operations by following IRC policies and procedures
- Answering staff queries about timesheets or pay slips
- Coordinate with Finance Department to make sure the accurate payments are made
- Serves as the primary point of contact for payroll matters and liaise with other departments and individuals on operational and programmatic matters concerning the Payroll
- to maintain confidentiality and professional ethics for all personnel paperwork, records and issues pertaining to staff in the Field Office
- Perform other duties as needed or requested by the HR Manager
Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Access and Microsoft Outlook
- Must be detail-oriented and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication and time management skills
- Ability to organize tasks simultaneously, prioritize work and ensure tasks are completed by deadline
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Honest, reliable and trustworthy
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Hausa
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of discretion and confidentiality
- Willing to adhere to and carry out the IRC rules.
- confidence with numbers
- a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Skills in the use of database management, word processing, spreadsheet, and/or presentation software.
- Organizing and coordinating skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to cope with basic living conditions during field trip
- Degree in Human Resource Management/Business Administration/Finance required
- 2 plus years’ experience in Payroll Management performing all payroll functions;
- Excellent skills using MS Word, Excel, Access, and Internet Explorer
- Strong skills using and understanding the flow of transactions in an integrated and automated payroll accounting system
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: HR Manager
- Position directly supervises:
- Indirect Reporting:
Standards for Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
Interested and qualified? Go to International Rescue Committee (IRC) career website on rescue.csod.com to apply