Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs.
Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency. PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse
Location: Monguno, Borno
Contract Start Date: 1st May, 2020.
Nationality: For Nigeria Nationals only (Male / Female)
Slot: 2 Openings
Contract Duration: 3 months (with possible extension)
- Under the direct supervision of the Health Supervisor, the Nurse provides patients consultations in collaboration with Midwife and other team members in the facility.
- S/he follows PUI protocols and standards to ensure Quality and continuity of care, promotion and restoration of health of patients and population.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Ensure and conduct the medical consultations with full history taking, clinical examination and provide a diagnosis and prescribe treatment accordingly following the protocols and universal precautions
- Explain clearly the diagnosis and treatment to the patient and make sure that the patients comply with the treatment
- Request for a 2nd evaluation of the patient when needed
- Provide individual health promotion during consultations
- Delegate the treatment cares (distribution of drugs, injections, dressings…) to Nurse assistant
- Manage and report any suspected communicable disease case according to Première Urgence Internationale’s protocols and national Disease Surveillance guidelines
- Execute any action requested by the PM, DPM or Medical Coordinator as part of the outbreak response plan
- Actively participate in the good cohesion and coordination of the team
- Record on a readable manner the health status and medical prescription
- Participate in the follow-up of the waste management according to the waste management procedures
- Collaborate with other departments as needed to ensure smooth implementation and integration of services.
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey…according to the needs and as directed.
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state.
Management of an Efficient Referral System:
- Manage the emergency and electives referral cases according to the referral protocol by facilitating the logistics including transportation means, appointment with specialists, laboratory tests etc. in collaboration with OPT supervisor
- Follow up the referred cases, and check the outcome
- Ensuring appropriate follow-up care has been given and taking appropriate action if further care is needed
- Identify and refer patients who need mental health consultation
Medical data collection and reporting:
- Record accurately and on a readable manner, the clinical case management on the patient health card (history taking, physical examination, treatment, investigation, etc.), and patient registration book
- Ensure an accurate daily use and tracking of epidemiological data
- Participate actively in the early warning system and the outbreak response plan
- Collect general information about the people living conditions
- Participate to the assessment of health needs
- Participate to the weekly medical statistic report in collaboration with OPT supervisor and the deputy program manager
- Ensure an oral hand over at every team change over, draw attention to any notable events during the shift
- Report to the supervisor any problem especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue.
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs.
Internal and external representation:
- Participate in any training in order to improve the quality and efficiency of nursing cares and duties
- Participate actively in meetings when required.
Note: The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the department
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases or other diseases of public health relevant and treat him.
- Provide frequent feedback on health-illness patterns observed in the field that require further assessment
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa and good knowledge in Kanuri is an asset
- Education degree: Recognized Nurse Degree (at least certificate level) with national legislation and valid License number.
- Work experience: At least 2 years of experience in Nursing, or in OPD services. Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset
Knowledge and skills:
- Good knowledge of Communicable and Non Communicable diseases
- Good knowledge of Public Health
- Good knowledge of Medical Ethics.
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief and interest in social issues
- Understanding of the political situation in the area.
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage the relationship in potentially tense situations
- Team Spirit
- Be available for any emergency
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation.
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Ability to analyse and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check the validity of information, logical thinking
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 20th April, 2020.