Principal Budget Officer – Performance Monitoring & Reporting, SNPB2 at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
The AfDB’s missi…
Read more about this company
Principal Budget Officer – Performance Monitoring & Reporting, SNPB2
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 6 years
- Location Other
- Job Field Finance / Accounting / Audit
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50000298
- The Senior Vice-Presidency is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The Senior Vice-Presidency will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The Senior Vice-Presidency will lead Senior Management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
The Hiring Department:
- The primary role of the Programming and Budget Department is to develop a strategic approach to planning and budgeting, and to coordinate the definition, planning, implementation and monitoring of Bank-wide programming and budgeting processes.
- The Budget Execution Coordination Division is responsible for budget execution coordination support through the coordination of the work programme planning, budgeting and resource management at the various complexes in close consultation with all stakeholders throughout the Budget cycle.
- It is also responsible for corporate performance monitoring and reporting on the implementation of the work program and budget.
- It contributes to the development of Key Performance Indicators and provides quantitative and qualitative analyses on the Bank’s performance for information, control and decision making.
- In addition, it is in charge of implementing capacity building programs on budgeting and resource management.
Under the general supervision of the Director of the Programming and Budget Department, and reporting to the Division Manager, SNPB.2, the incumbent’s work objectives are as follows:
- Coordinate periodic reports to Management and the Board on Bank performance comprising of: (i) Quarterly Budget and Work Performance Report; (ii) Retrospective Review of the Administrative and Capital Expenditure Budgets and Performance Report and; (iii) Other Budget and Performance reports requested by Senior Management or by the Board;
- Coordinate with Business units and the Delivery Performance Management and Results Department (SNDR) to define Institutional Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to monitor the performance of the Bank;
- Liaise with IT Department to develop, maintain and update on a regular basis, a dashboard for KPIs to provide timely information and improve data management;
- Ensure data quality management for reporting purposes and provide quantitative and qualitative analyses on Bank Performance for decision making.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, the Principal Budget Officer – Performance Monitoring and Reporting, will coordinate the implementation of the performance monitoring and reporting activities. His/her duties include:
- Coordinate the preparation of the statutory quarterly Budgets and Work Programme Performance Reports of the Bank and any other relevant performance reports as required.
- Lead the analysis on Performance Monitoring Data for periodic assessment of resource utilization status and propose corrective measures for variances to ensure that resources are properly assigned
- Coordinate with Business units and the Delivery Performance Management and Results Department (SNDR) in the development/revision of the KPIs in order to rationalize for more value adding and effective monitoring and reporting system; Monitor Institutional and Complex KPIs against targets set by the Bank;
- Conduct independent research and analyses on Performance and budget issues, identify problems, propose solutions and make recommendations to Management;
- Ensure the enhancement of the Budget and Work Programme Performance Reporting Systems and Dashboards
- Elaborate and coordinate responses to queries from Board Members with respect to the statutory Budgets and Work Programme Performance reports and contribute to the elaboration of the Programming and Budget Document and other Ad-hoc reports;
- Working closely with Business units and the Delivery and Performance Management Unit to ensure timely and accurate reporting of the performance of organizational units on budget and related work programmes.
- Participation in institutional initiatives and working groups on behalf of the division as may be assigned by the Division Manager.
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Management or related fields;
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience with exposure to international and/or multicultural contexts
- Experience in budgeting and institutional performance reporting for both internal and external audiences
- Good Knowledge of operational strategies, policies, rules, procedures and practices of the Bank or similar institutions.
- Experience in design and implementation of budgeting and performance reporting systems, management information systems and dashboards as well as business process enhancement initiatives.
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking capacity: Capacity to perform quantitative and qualitative analysis on financial, budget and corporate performance statistics and data and accurately interprete results to derive meaningful information for reporting to senior management and higher levels of authority e.g. Board of Directors
- Demonstrate high degree of attention to details and strong focus on data quality control.
- High-level skills in report writing: Ability to present information clearly and concisely in appropriate style and language to suit the requirements of a specific audience as well as handle sensitive information.
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities under heavy work pressure tight deadlines while maintaining speed and accuracy.
- Problem Solving: Ability to apply business knowledge to diagnose and resolve problems effectively and timely
- Ability to use innovative and creative approaches to enhance performance.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to ensure sound working relationships with colleagues, effectively coordinate team assignments and build partnerships with a broad range of clients to deliver high quality results.
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of ERP Systems (preferably SAP), Business Intelligence tools and SAP BW, standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) and good knowledge of operational and project management systems.
Method of Application
Important Information / Notice
- This position is classified International status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected]
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
Interested and qualified? Go to African Development Bank – AfDB on www.afdb.org to apply