Principal Investment Officer at the International Finance Corporation (IFC) – World Bank Group
World Bank Group – The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In fiscal year 2018, we delivered more than $23 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
Principal Investment Officer
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job Field
Finance / Accounting / Audit
Job #: req5470
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
- FIG is recruiting one Principal Investment Officer (“PIO”) to join the investment team which originates, manages and monitors IFC’s financial sector investments, including investments that support the institution’ regional expansion across the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region
- The Principal Investment Officer will report to the FIG Regional Industry Manager covering West and Central Africa (WCA).
- Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s / he will retain his / her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3-year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities
- The Principal Investment Officer (PIO) will lead and implement business development for financial institutions in the anglophone markets of West and Central Africa (WCA)
- He/She will be in charge of devising a business development strategy to catalyze investments in the financial sector, including developing solutions to open new markets and build new relationships with strategic, top tier clients and stakeholders.
The PIO will:
- Perform the role of IFC Client Service lead, a top-level relationship manager for financial institutions at CEO, board and key shareholder level;
- In coordination with transactions teams, ensure quality in the origination and structuring of new transactions in a strategic context;
- Provide insight into sector developments in the financial services sector to anticipate new investment opportunities and performance issues;
- Lead upstream market creation approaches or interventions for the financial sector which includes engagement with senior management across the WBG, other senior external stakeholders (e.g. senior government officials) on needed market and regulatory reforms;
- Lead the growth of client business, preparation and execution of client engagement strategies covering the relevant markets within WCA or beyond as relevant.
- Support the implementation of projects, including client interaction at top decision maker-level
- Support the supervision of projects, including client interaction at top decision maker-level, analytical assessments, on-site reviews and the preparation of internal project documentation for results, sustainability and development effectiveness;
- Mentor and coach less-experienced investment and advisory services staff and help build talent and grow skill base of staff;
- Build teams, network of peers and partnerships for success
- Build IFC’s knowledge base for best practices and participate in knowledge sharing and dissemination; and
- Provide best-practice technical advice to IFC staff and external clients.
- Master’s Degree in Finance or similar relevant education; accreditation as a CFA or CPA is considered a plus;
- 14+ years of relevant experience in the financial sector, including a solid operational understanding of commercial banks and other financial entities in Nigeria and / or West & Central Africa in particular, and the Africa region in general;
- Demonstrated network of top-level contacts in the financial services and investment industries in the sub-region;
- Documented experience and expertise in identifying, evaluating, structuring and negotiating private debt and equity investments; experience in portfolio management;
- Sound business judgment and strong problem solving/negotiation skills, as well as ability to work effectively on simultaneous projects under time pressure;
- Knowledge and Experience in International Economic Development Arena;
- Excellent business judgment and strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify issues and present creative, practical solutions.
- Capacity to deal with conflicting priorities and deliver high quality work on schedule; facility to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries;
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with the business community and governmental authorities, as needed; and
- The position requires regional and international travel.
Interested and qualified? Go to World Bank career website on worldbankgroup.csod.com to apply