Principal Specialist, Network Implementation (Fibre) at IHS Towers
IHS Towers is the largest independent mobile telecommunications infrastructure provider in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Founded in 2001, IHS provides services across the full tower value chain – colocation on owned towers, deployment and managed services.
Today IHS Towers has operations in Nigeria, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Zambia and Rwanda. Following the recent acquisitions of MTN and Etisalat’s tower portfolios in Nigeria, IHS owns over 23,300 towers in Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Specialist, Network Implementation (Fibre)
- We are currently recruiting for a Principal Specialist, Network Implementation (Fibre) who will deliver assigned complex and/ or long-term Outside Plant (OSP) fibre engineering and implementation projects, including budgetary, resourcing and scheduling requirements.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Perform fibre optic network design, planning and engineering.
- Lead site survey activities and generate high- and low-level designs.
- Create and analyze bills of quantity (BoQs) to be utilized in fibre optic network build.
- Evaluate and recommend changes to the current network in order to meet future network and technology requirements.
- Ensure all implementation activities are performed according to quality specifications and requirements set by the company, customers and equipment manufacturers.
- Supervise quality assurance & in-process audits on the installation of supplied customer services in the OSP, including fibre installation; fibre splice, testing and termination; and acceptance test procedures.
- Utilize the company’s acceptance checklist to execute acceptance test procedures, thereby ensuring the installed fibre optic network conforms to customer requirements.
- Ensure service providers comply with Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) standards.
- Drive any required change control process during the implementation phase.
- Guide Installation and Engineering service providers on proper design and installation techniques, procedures, and documentation/ reporting.
- Ensure that service providers meet all the technical specifications with respect to telecoms and civil works issues.
- Provide feedback to service providers on the work performance, requirements, and recommendations for improvement.
- Review and monitor Project Implementation Plan (PIP) as submitted by vendors
- Support routine preventive and corrective maintenance procedures
- Liaise with internal stakeholders for support on all fibre-related matters necessary for ensuring the company’s goals are achieved.
- Represent the organization externally as required, particularly in areas of project management.
- Provide inputs to the design and implementation of business strategies, plans and procedures.
- Thoroughly understand and communicate requirements to accountable team members. Manage all requirements according to each stakeholder.
- Develop and support effective communication mechanisms between the project teams and the rest of the organization.
- Develop and maintain the project library, filing, recording and reporting systems.
- Assist with equipment & material ordering and payment of vendor/ contractor invoices.
- Escalate project issues on time.
- Facilitate project management training for the organization’s project teams with reference to in-house processes.
- Assist with contract negotiations with external suppliers / vendors where required.
- Ensure proper quality inspections are carried out and provide vendor evaluations.
- Review and validate submitted reports to ensure accuracy
- Review and confirm Pro-forma Invoice (PFI) as submitted by vendors.
- Sign off on projects as completed.
- Review detailed and complete documentation for every project.
- Proactively communicate project status, issues & risks to relevant stakeholder as at when due.
- Track progress and review project tasks to make certain deadlines are met appropriately.
- Present new ideas and strategies to management and other stakeholders.
- Manage and mitigate project risks.
- Liaise closely with other functional areas to ensure accurate and robust budget monitoring against project plans.
- Ensure process of notification or escalation is in place to report on both underspend and potential overspend with appropriate approvals sought for either situation.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement mindset that values learning, collaboration, accountability, and a commitment to quality among team-members.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Promote communication between colleagues for the benefit of information flow and to curb any problems that may arise.
- Prepare and submit reports to the Associate Director, Network Implementation (Fibre) on all matters pertaining to the unit.
- Manage relationships with partners/vendors
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned by the Associate Director, Network Implementation (Fibre).
Experience & Qualifications Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Building / Structural Technology or any related discipline.
- Advanced Degree in any of the above Engineering fields and / or relevant professional certifications, e.g. will be an added advantage.
- +12 years’ relevant experience, including most recent 5-7 years in telecoms program/ project management.
- Be Bold
- Customer Focus
- Project Management
- Fibre Optic Planning & Installation
- Fibre Transmission Technologies & Solutions
- Fibre Optic Network Service Delivery Processes & Models
- Business Communication
- Customer Industry Knowledge.
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Leading & Influencing.
Application Closing Date
10th March, 2021.