Procurement and Logistics Officer
Position Title : Procurement and Logistics Officer
Duty Station : Maiduguri, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 28 June 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office in Maiduguri, the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer (RMO) in Maiduguri, and the technical guidance of the Senior Resources Management Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for Procurement and Logistics activities for the Sub-Offices in Maiduguri and Yola of IOM Nigeria Country Office (CO). In coordination with IOM Nigeria Procurement Unit and the Global Procurement Supply Unit (GPSU) at the Manila Administrative Center, s/he will carry out procurement and supply chain tasks in accordance with instructions, regulations and rules which govern IOM management of resources related to procurement in the CO.
IOM procurement and supply chain activities are guided by the general principles of:
• Best Value for Money;
• Accountability, Integrity and Transparency;
• Fairness and effective Competition; and,
• Best Interest of IOM.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Supervise IOM teams involved in the following categories of procurement and logistics work within the area of responsibility: procurement staff (local and international procurement); logistics staff; fleet staff (including drivers of rented vehicles and trucks).
Ensure IOM and relevant donor procurement procedures are in place and followed in accordance with relevant policies and regulations.
Conduct procurement and logistics tasks within the CO, including property and assets control, supply, service/maintenance, contractual agreements.
Review and assess procurement requests, identify service providers, and evaluate information regarding vendor’s performance in the areas of quality, prices, and delivery of goods in view of the Organization’s best interests.
Solicit bids, quotations and tender documents; oversee bidding process and provide support for procurement transactions, analyse them for conformity to specified requirements; conduct appraisals and select suppliers, and confirm terms of payment; prepare purchase orders and ensure receiving authorization by the RMO and the Chief of Mission (CoM).
Follow up on purchase orders (PO) status and keep the head of unit and respective project managers abreast of estimated time of delivery or any changes that may affect or modify the pre-determined delivery conditions. Ensure all expected merchandise is received in accordance with PO specifications, and that all goods are in good condition.
Carry out a monthly review and assessments of the open POs, PRs and make sure PR are converted to POs to ensure the commitments properly reflected on the projects. Use SAP Materials Management Module for timely house-keeping and closing PO and PR. Produce regular progress reports, statistical information and briefing materials.
Establish proper tracking mechanism for PRF, PO, retention amount and coordinate with finance units to make sure the vendor are paid on time.
Ensure that appropriate funds are available for purchase; ensure receipts are received when payment is conducted in cash; request authorization of the RMO regarding bank transfer payments.
Coordinate CO procurements with Global Procurement and Supply Unit in Manila Administrative Centre (MAC) when required.
Create internal control mechanisms to safe-guard the Organizations assets and prevent fraud and ensure that appropriate record is kept on assets disposal, ensure assets are located accordingly and used in IOM’s best interest; regularly upgrade inventory list. Make sure IOM property insurance is in place.
Maintain accurate warehouse inventories by keeping track of all warehouse transactions and assist in the adherence to stockroom management practices, in order to ensure there is no undue overstocking or loss; control supply stock and monitor consumable materials, in order to be able to provide staff with ready access to common regularly used items and replenishment.
Monitor maintenance and repair of office facilities, including preventive maintenance. Establish maintenance agreements with competent service providers, when it is feasible and determined to be cost effective.
Participate in the finalization of the process of the construction agreements (tendering, EOI) with the contractors to make sure competitive processes are implemented and contractor selected based on the merit and qualification. The processes entail pre-qualification of the contractors, Bill of Quantity (BOQ) preparation, and tendering process and selection of contractor. During the implementation, make sure the project managers keep eyes on the contractors that they respect the agreement and follow the contract.
Flag potential problems and red flags with suppliers and vendors for Maiduguri Office while ensuring they are solved quickly and regularly update RMO, HSO, SRMO and COM on progress.
Compile a comprehensive database on the reliable vendors, service providers, contractor that could be used in Maiduguri and other states and conduct bi-annual vendor performance reviews, identify specialized supplier opportunities and implement vendor accreditation processes as required.
Participate in UN system Logistics / Procurement meetings at the Sub- Office level as and when need arises, and put recommendations of the use of UN LTA which suits IOM needs and requirement.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Logistics, Procurement, Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in managing diverse procurement and logistics operations;
• Excellent level of computer literacy and good knowledge of SAP/PRISM; and,
• Demonstrated experience in training and managing large teams of co-workers, managing vendors and suppliers.
• In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
• Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming; and,
• Extensive knowledge of IOM/UN or humanitarian non-profit organisations, procurement and financial rules, as well as SAP elements as they apply to procurement and logistics.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in
the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 28 June 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 15.06.2020 to 28.06.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2020 128 Procurement and Logistics Officer (P3) Maiduguri, Nigeria (56479349) Released
Posting: Posting NC56479350 (56479350) Released