Procurement Manager at 54gene – August 23, 2021
54gene was founded in 2019 by Dr. Abasi Ene-Obong to address the significant gap in the global genomics market; Nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is Caucasian. Only 2% is African, despite the fact that Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Manager
Locations: Lagos, Nigeria
Department: Supply Chain and Logistics
Reports to: Country Manager
- The Procurement Manager is responsible for sourcing goods and services and managing vendors.
- The person is responsible for strategic and operational procurement activities across multiple categories of spend, including searching for better deals to find more profitable suppliers, analyzing purchase requisitions and processing purchase orders whilst assisting to track the received and existing inventory across the company.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Execute procurement strategies to maintain the security of supply and optimum value for money
- In charge of daily operational purchasing needs such as planning, issuing and following up on purchase order delivery, supplier invoices, shipment schedules, claims and credit notes
- Track and report key functional metrics to reduce expenses and improve the effectiveness
- Evaluate vendor’s quotation to ensure that they are in line with the technical and commercial specifications required
- Forecast price and market trends to identify changes of balance in buyer-supplier power as well as perform cost and scenario analysis and benchmarking
- Assess, manage and mitigate risks
- Evaluate supplier performance based on SLAs on quality standards, delivery time and best prices and ensure all the criteria are met according to the organizational requirements and expectations
- Manage the replenishment of stocks through a systematic manner considering lead time, consumption and minimum stock handling costs
- Monitor and forecast upcoming levels of demand
- Manage overall direction, coordination and evaluation of procurement for the branches, head office and central stores
- Assist to perform all procurement and contracting activities including pre-qualification, tender management, negotiation and preparation of contracts
- Develop key relationships with business stakeholders and strategic supply partners to improve business and ensure clear requirements documentation
- Ensure and execute workflow process for Procurement in line with ERP software system
- Ensure principles of value for money, transparency, fairness, efficiency and accountability are evident in all the Company’s dealings
- Advise senior management on ways to improve the procurement process, management of company assets and replacement strategies
- Ensure all procured goods and services conform to health and safety established standards for the organization as well as statutory compliance
- Develop supplier database and establish annual purchasing contracts for lower value/high-value items
- Analyze market and delivery trends so as to develop procurement technologies and processes that support those trends
- Conduct business review meetings with key stakeholders to assess risk, review future strategies and identify potential cost down and improvement opportunities
- Provide periodic reporting for management on purchasing, controls and processes
- Any other duties as delegated by management.
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Logistics or related field; required
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA), or related field strongly preferred.
- 5-7 years of experience in a pharmaceutical or Biotech company within the procurement functions
- Experience in the acquisition of medical supplies, equipment, commodities, or services involving a competitive bidding and negotiation process
- Experience in managing and coaching direct reports preferred
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, swiftly changing entrepreneurial environment; preferred.
- Experience working on international procurement transactions
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong knowledge in scientific and diagnostics materials supply and procurement
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to work under pressure in a challenging working environment
- Sound ethics and integrity.
- Strong ability to use and develop a management tracking system
- Experience in analyzing information and data, and compiling reports; preferred
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Equal Opportunity Employer
- 54gene celebrates diversity and is proud to be an inclusive employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, colour, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, marital status, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a mental or physical disability, or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristics