Program Officer at Banyan Global
Banyan Global is a woman-owned small business and international development consulting firm committed to improving livelihoods through market approaches for a broad and lasting impact. The firm is headquartered in Washington, DC and has program operations and activities in over 15 countries around the world. Banyan Global operates within six practice areas: gender, youth, finance and investment, enterprise development, health, and evaluation and learning.
Banyan Global is the prime recipient of the Nigeria Health Workforce Management (HWM) Activity in Nigeria. It is a five-year task order to support the establishment of a cost-effective, well trained, and motivated health workforce, particularly in targeted rural and remote areas of Bauchi, Ebonyi, Kebbi, and Sokoto States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). By its conclusion, the task order is expected to increase the production of new health workers competent to respond to current and future population health needs in these locations by 100,000; improve the distribution and skill mix of front-line workers to meet specific local demands; and strengthen the capacity of pre-service institutions to adopt and apply innovative education approaches.
Targeted interventions will contribute to: (1) improved management of maternal, child, and newborn health conditions and (2) increased responsiveness to community health needs. USAID will support the Government of Nigeria’s (GON’s) commitment to plan, recruit, train, manage, and retain its primary healthcare (PHC) workforce as the country advances on its journey to self-reliance. This activity will contribute to the achievement of Nigeria Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) Development Objective (DO) 2 A Healthier, Better Educated Population in Targeted States and Intermediate Result (IR) 2.1 Utilization of Quality Health Services in Targeted Areas and Population Groups Increased.
- The Program Officer (PO) will be based in Abuja and reports to the Country Director. He/she will act as the point of contact the technical team.
- The position will support general administration, office coordination, project monitoring, and other tasks associated with the project.
- The PO will work closely with the Abuja and State offices to ensure activities are on time and in budget. This position will also work with the team to ensure that the activities are of high quality and adhere to global standards, national policies and best practices on human resources systems strengthening.
- Work with the Grants Management team to plan and oversee the implementation of grants under contract (GUC) activities using collaborative quality improvement approach
- In collaboration with the Technical Director and State HRH Coordinators, request and monitor on-going implementation of the work plan and share findings with the Country Director
- Work with the Finance Manager to ensure proper financial management, reporting, and administration of the project by the partners
- Support in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports of program activities and update the Country Director and State HRH Coordinators on the status of program implementation
- Support the Country Director in tracking and following up on work plans, budgets, and deliverables for each partner
- Lead the process of coordination of meetings with stakeholders and ensure that reports of meeting are properly documented for program use
- Work with the Finance team and Grants Management Team to track project burn rates by partners and result areas and advise on the strategies to improve burn rate
- Support the Finance Manager in the development of program strategies, partners grant documents, work plans, and budgets for GUCs as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree in Sciences, Public Health, Social Work, or Community Development or related field or a Bachelor’s degree in the humanities with 4-5 years of relevant experience with international and local organizations
- Knowledge of at least one professional program management training is highly desirable (PRINCE, PMP, etc.)
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation (M&E) is desirable
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Previous knowledge of work plan and proposal development
- Ability to analyze program budgets and monitor work plan implementation
- Excellent analytical, critical enquiry, and report writing as well as basic program management skills
- Working knowledge of USAID policies and local organizations including civil society organizations (CSOs)
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues on a broad array of program subjects
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with proven ability to represent in external events
- Ability to organize systems to monitor administrative and implementation results
- Ability to use a computer with strong Excel skills
- Excellent ability to work within and across teams and ensure cohesion in a multi-dimensional program portfolio
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on his/her own initiative and as a member of a team
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following documents to: [email protected] using the “Job title” as subject of the email. Please reference the “Job title and Location” on the subject line, your cover letter and Resume / CV.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae (CV) listing all work experience and qualifications and a cover letter.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.