Programme Coordinator – Nutrition at Christian Aid (CA) – 2 Openings
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Programme Coordinator – Nutrition
Locations: Sokoto and Zamfara
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Contracted Hours: 35
Contract Length: 1 year
Reports to: Senior Programme Coordinator
- To support Christian Aid’s development, implementation, and monitoring of ECHO Humanitarian project in Zamfara and Sokoto States. The nutrition component of the ECHO project is key in “active case findings” and the implementation of the Strategic Behavioural Change Communication (SBCC) component of the project. There is the need to have people who are dedicated to ensuring that the nutrition component is implemented with the quality required and consistent with Christian Aid and the donor’s guidelines.
- The Nutrition Coordinator will be based in either Sokoto or Zamfara state and will be coordinating the nutrition activities supported by Nutrition Assistants in each location.
- Facilitate community mobilization, sensitization meetings, and trainings during community-led nutrition activities.
- Work closely within community structures to follow up on the implementation of Community
- Management of Acute Malnutrition(CMAM), Care Group Model (CGM), and Infant and Young
- Child Feeding (IYCF) activities with support from the Nutrition Coordinator.
- Create awareness and sensitize the community on IYCF practices, malnutrition, and the causes of malnutrition, and treatment of malnutrition.
- Actively participate in scaling up surveillance activities at the community level to ensure monitoring of the situation.
- Lead Monthly MUAC screening as part of routine program activities.
- Implement sensitization activities for targeted communities about CMAM and IYCF with support from MOH, community volunteers, traditional leaders, religious leaders, and other stakeholders at the LGA level.
- Close coordination of all activities in collaboration with MOH, Community team, and other key stakeholders.
- Expected national travel per annum: Up to 75 days (On-call / unsocial hours: Yes)
- Expected international travel per annum: Occasional travel
- Surge capacity for emergency responses: No
In order to respond to ever-changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in the workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project-based working approach the norm. To sustain this system, managers may/will agree on further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
- The Nutrition Coordinator will provide support for efficient and smooth implementation of nutrition interventions at the community level under the direction of the Project Coordinator.
- He/she will also collect information and data on nutrition at the community level through screening and other assessments.
- He/she will oversee the mobilization and awareness-raising about the organization,
- program objectives, and activities to local authorities and the population, and act as a link between the organization and the beneficiaries (at the Community level).
- The Nutrition Coordinator will also be required to represent Christian Aid and the program within the community. The role will be based in either Zamfara or Sokoto state and will report to the Project Manager.
- Have a minimum of B.Sc in Nutrition or community-based program with similar experience in humanitarian contexts (conflict/insecure contexts) as well as CMAM, IYCF, and community mobilization.
- Be professional, have good organizational capacity, good human relationships, self-motivated, open, creative, proactive, responsible, flexible, and culturally sensitive.
- Have a minimum of 2-year work experience in Nutrition and SBCC approach-IYCF and CGM a plus.
- Have excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Experience in facilitating discussions and meetings, coordinate and supervise a team.
- Experience in preparing monthly work plans and plan appropriately for tasks assigned.
- Experience in writing reports and collecting relevant information from surveys, community, health facility, and meetings.
- Be willing and able to be based and travel within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Be proficient in local languages (Kanuri, Hausa).
- Be committed to Christian Aid mission, values, and policy.
- Charity sector experience and fluency in the local languages
- External: Local NGO sector, implementing partners and regulators, community members
- Internal: Relationships across the whole programme and ability to interface at all levels within Christian Aid and consortium partners. A strong interface with the programmes team and other colleagues within Christian Aid.
- The post holder will be the focal point for nutrition and procedure implementation in the project working closely with peers across other projects.
- Budgetary / savings responsibility: N/A
- The role is expected to be able to work autonomously and innovatively whilst ensuring appropriate consultation with key stakeholders.
Developing Self and Others:
- Number of Direct reports: 3 – 3
- Overall people management responsibility: 3 – 4
The successful applicant will lead on the nutrition component of the project implementation and ensure adherence to Christian Aid and donor requirements. Ability to influence a range of audiences to ensure the best outcome for Christian Aid country programme on nutrition programme implementation while integrating approaches to the programme at large. Able to deal with emerging issues comprehensively and robustly to achieve community acceptance and trust.
Role Related Checks:
- Child protection clearance: Not required
- Counter-terrorism screening: Required.
Digital / IT Competencies Required:
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint: Intermediate
- Web content design & development: N/A
- Internet-based collaboration tools and video calling: Intermediate
- Social Media: Intermediate
- Data Visualisation: Intermediate.
- This role requires applicants to have the right to work in the country where this position is based.
- We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in its workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, colour, gender, age, disability, religion, or belief.
- Christian Aid is committed to providing a safe and trusted environment for every person connected to the work we do; and to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour including sexual harassment and exploitation, abuse, and financial misconduct. Any candidate offered a job with Christian Aid is expected to share and demonstrate our values and adhere to Christian Aid’s Safeguarding policy and sign Christian Aid’s Code of Conduct.
- You can expect a wide range of rewards and benefits, including flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.
As part of your application you will be asked to demonstrate your suitability by giving answers to the following questions:
- Tell us about a time when you were aware that your words and actions were not communicating effectively and you had to adapt what you were saying or how you were saying it:
- What was the context?
- What was the task?
- How did you know you were not communicating effectively?
- How did you adapt what you said or did?
- What was/were the outcome(s)?
- Were you successful?
- If so, how did you know?
- Tell us about a time when you had to establish and maintain relationships with a wide range of contacts and networks based on mutual rapport and respect:
- What was the context?
- Why did you need to establish the new relationships and why was your attitude to this important?
- What was your task?
- What outcomes were being sought?
- What actions did you take?
- How did you take them?
- Tell us about a time when you had to make recommendations or take decisions after analysing data, information, and other evidence:
- What was the background?
- What recommendations or decisions did you have to take?
- What was your particular task or responsibility?
- What actions did you take?
- How did you analyse the information and data?
- What was the outcome?
- Were you successful?
Application Closing Date
23rd March, 2021.
9th April, 2021.