Programme Manager (PM)- Multisector (Health, Nutrition, WaSH and Protection) – Nigeria
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Programme Manager (PM)- Multisector (Health, Nutrition, WaSH and Protection)
Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent missions in the field (Ngala, Bama, Magumeri and Dikwa LGAs), Borno State, Nigeria
Starting date: 01/07/2020
Contract duration: 12 Months
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator
Supervision of: about 10 national staff, with team of about 200 staff.
General context of the project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled north eastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
As an implementing partner to USAID-OFDA, INTERSOS has been active in Borno State since 2017, in particular: – Bama, Dikwa, Ngala, Magumeri and Monguno Local Government Areas (LGAs), to address the unmet needs of the most vulnerable in these locations because the situation is continuing to worsen. INTERSOS is presently implementing the third round of USAID-OFDA funded a project titled “Provision of Emergency Health Care, Nutrition, Protection and WaSH Services, for people affected by the ongoing crisis in Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Magumeri and Monguno LGAs, Borno State, Northeast Nigeria” that supports at least 213,183 most vulnerable children, women, and individuals affected by the ongoing crisis, across those five LGAs in Borno State. The support is through provision of integrated multisectoral lifesaving services and basic essential needs under health, nutrition, WaSH and protection sectors. INTERSOS is already in discussions with USAID-OFDA for possibility of fourth round funding of this grant.
As part of COVID-19 response, INTERSOS is anticipating to receive another 12 months grant from USAID-OFDA for a project entitled “WaSH in Health and Protection Scale-up to Stop and Prevent Covid Transmission among Disaster-Affected People in Bama LGA (Local Government Area), Borno State, Northeast Nigeria’’ that will be implemented specifically in Bama.
In addition, INTERSOS is implementing two other nutrition/ health projects funded by UNOCHA and Stichting Vluchteling (SV).
INTERSOS is seeking to hire a Program Manager to provide overall management of the integrated multisectoral country program, including leading in design, quality implementation, monitoring, accountability, and reporting of these projects.
General purpose of the position
- To provide full managerial and technical leadership and responsibility for the operational planning, implementation, monitoring, accountability and reporting — including procurement, selection of staff, and financial supervision of expenditures against target activities.
- S/he will support training and will supervise all the activities in the field locations.
- S/he is responsible of regular donor reporting and attends technical coordination meetings, the incumbent work under overall supervision of the Country Programmes Coordinator, and very close liaison with the Medical Coordinator, Protection Coordinator and WaSH Coordinator for technical support.
- S/he will need to co-ordinate effectively with logistics, human resources, finance, security, and the MEAL departments to ensure that field operations are implemented with least possible interruptions.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- The PM manages, coordinates and supervises the projects staff for the operational planning of activities and services, ensuring timely and quality implementation and monitoring in compliance with relevant Standard Operating Procedures, International Principles and Guidelines as well as INTERSOS Fundamental Charter and Code of Ethics.
- Planning, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the multisectoral projects, ensuring timely and quality delivery of services as per approved proposals, work plans and budgets.
- Ensure, in line with INTERSOS internal rules and regulations, donor regulations and international humanitarian standard (such as SPHERE) the management of the projects
- Conduct regular field visits to assess program quality and progress toward objectives, facilitate collective problem solving with staff and other stakeholders to address challenges
- Monitoring financial supervision of expenditures an appropriate budget management
- Coordinating with the finance and logistic department to procure material necessary for the implementation of the activities in a timely manner to ensure adequate supply at the intervention sites
- Plan and distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their understanding of the issues linked to the Project and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals
- Inform the field team on the instructions given by the capital promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality and full compliance with security rules and medical ethics
- Supervise the projects material resources put at INTERSOS ’s disposition in order to ensure a correct use and its longevity
- Supervise all orders (medical and logistical) and the Project’s purchases as well as the financial indicators, with the support of the capital referents, in order ensure efficiency, adequate supply at the intervention sites and early detect deviations and its causes.
- Ensure appropriate budget management
- Monitor the risks and threats around the project(s), documenting the situation and analyzing the consequences of political decisions or negotiations in course
- Proactively participate in relevant technical coordination meetings and working groups.
- Support the mission in designing high quality projects that integrate WaSH, health, nutrition and protection.
- Provide technical supervision and guidance to medical team, both for the Mobile Team and the staff in the static facilities.
- Be responsible of the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities he/she is accountable for
- Identify training needs, provide individual follow up and coaching, carry out end of mission evaluation of the team members and lead internal communication initiatives in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional development and to maximize their capabilities and commitment to project’s goals.
- Ensure that internal performance reviews (IPRs) are completed for all projects staff and filed with the HR as per INTERSOS policies.
- Developing regular reports, including donor reporting and the monthly Project Appraisal Tool (PAT) and sitreps are completed in time, and supported with accurate data
- Ensuring accurate data collection and reporting are submitted in a timely manner for all activities within the project
- Elaborate the Project’s institutional memory, keeping written records (and file them) on its development
Required profile and experience
University degree or equivalent level in public health disciplines, social sciences or similar. Desirable degree/Master’s in project management.
- At least 5 years of significant international experience in similar positions in the humanitarian INGO sector.
- Extensive working experiences in Project Cycle Management.
- Solid knowledge of budgeting and multi-donor grants- moreso OFDA.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial monitoring and reporting tools
- Experience working in security hostile environments.
- Proficient knowledge of Sphere and other international guidelines and standards in humanitarian emergencies.
- Experience in working with IDPs or refugees.
- Technically strong in PCM and public health background.
- Ability to make accurate and evidence-based decisions and guide activities of teams.
- Ability to deliver multiple projects within timelines.
- Sound personal organizational skills, including time management, ability to meet deadlines, multi-tasking, prioritization of tasks, and working under pressure
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international multiethnic and multicultural environment
- Proven management and leadership skills
- Ability to deliver high quality work in short periods of time and to work under pressure
- Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required
- Knowledge of local context of North Nigeria is not necessarily desirable.
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “**Platform issue** – SR-49-1518 – Programme Manager (PM)- Multisector (Health, Nutrition, WaSH and Protection) – Nigeria”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.