Project Manager – Protection – Nigeria
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager – Protection**
Duty station: Zamfara State
Starting date: 1/7/2021
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Program Coordinator
Supervision of: Project Officer and Head of Field-Base
Dependents: Non-family Duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS and SI will join their efforts to comprehensively address the needs of the most vulnerable populations affected by the conflict in North East Nigeria State of Zamfara following a holistic, evidence-based, principled and integrated multi-sector approach. Significant added value to the quality of the intervention will be enabled through the leverage of the complementarity between the different organizations’ technical expertise, and the different stage of experience in the targeted areas of interventions. Most importantly, the creation of the consortium is born from the joint analysis that after 8 years of protracted crisis, the humanitarian response in North East Nigeria suffers from major shortcomings in terms of coordination, evidence-based analysis of the needs, integrated approach and resources rationalization. By providing an integrated approach, INTERSOS and SI aim at ensuring an optimized and comprehensive coverage of the most critical needs of the affected population, particularly in hard-to-reach areas where the humanitarian response is little developed. Along with an integrated response, the consortium will ensure protection mainstreaming and will address cross-cutting protection needs (Gender-based violence and Child protection). The objective of this action will be both the delivery of essential services and the strengthening of a protection focused response as a whole, in order to provide the basis for a principled comprehensive intervention, increase sustainability of actions and enhance synergies among implementing partners. In parallel and emergency preparedness and response has been planned, particularly in reaction of epidemic outbreak.
General purpose of the position
In close collaboration with the Coordination team, define and plan project objectives and priorities, identifying protection needs, analysing context and humanitarian issues at stake, risks and constraints and calculating human and financial needs.
Coordinate, in close collaboration with Protection Coordinator, protection activities, strategic growth and strong external and internal representation in order to efficiently ensure the goals and improve targeted population’s conditions and humanitarian situation.
Provide basic technical inputs and support and liaise with protection technical staffs within the mission and HQ for guidance and support on technical protection related issues.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Programme activities planning, monitoring and evaluation:
• Represent INTERSOS within areas limited to the project of concern and proactively participate in relevant technical coordination meetings, cluster meetings and working groups in Nigeria. In close consultation with the Head of Mission, Protection Coordinator and Program Coordinator, develop institutional contacts with local stakeholders at project’s level (civil society, civil and military authorities, NGOs, non-state actors, UN agencies and donors etc.) as well as with local media in order to obtain all information and agreements necessary to integrate INTERSOS’s programmes in the local context and improve local acceptance of the organization
• Monitor the political and humanitarian situation within the project’s area of concern in order to ensure that INTERSOS’s charter, policies and image are respected with regards to national employees and known by populations, authorities and partners
• Together with the coordination and project team, identify the population’s needs, analyse the context (environment, involvement of stakeholders, negotiations for access etc.) and potential associated risks and constraints to the implementation in order to establish priorities and estimate material, human and financial resources needed
• Propose and carry out exploratory missions and rapid assessments in line with INTERSOS strategy in the country, according to Head of Mission’s and Coordination Team’s indications, in order to better analyse context, priorities, constraints and population needs and design new project proposals
• Steer and supervise the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the protection programmes in collaboration with the team, by collecting information, feedback and complaints from beneficiaries and target populations and comparing it with the original objectives of the project in order to monitor progression and early detect deviations
• Provide timely and high-quality reports to the Coordination team on project’s evolution and propose amendments if needed
• Make sure all the documentation related to the project is well kept so to ensure the whole history of the project is correctly handed over.
• Monitor the risks and threats around the project(s), documenting the situation and analysing the context, in order to bear witness of and to render the populations’ distress public.
• In coordination with the HR department and relevant managers, plan and organise the relevant response organizational charts, distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their comprehension of the issues linked to the project and the mission through regular working meetings and feedback sessions, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals
• Inform the field team on the instructions given by the coordination promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality and full compliance with security rules
• Supervise full implementation of safety protocols in order to ensure safe working conditions for the project staffs
• In collaboration with the technical team, ensure tools and guidelines are appropriately applied by project staffs
• Responsible of the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities he/she is accountable for.
• In coordination with the HR department and relevant managers, identify training needs, build the capacity, coordinate, supervise and motivate the staffs, supports ad hoc training sessions and on-the-job training, provide individual follow up and coaching, carry out end of mission evaluation of the team members and lead internal communication initiatives in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional development and to maximize their capabilities and commitment to INTERSOS values and project’s goals.
• Lead internal communication initiatives in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional development and to maximize their capabilities and commitment to project’s goals
• In collaboration with Finance department monitor financial supervision of expenditures and ensure proper management of project funds (update project financial planning on a monthly basis) and propose budgetary adjustments to Finance department
• Report in a timely manner any eventual challenges or delays faced, loss or damage occurred, including alleged fraud or misconduct
• Liaise with the logistics team for project purchases and supply, to ensure correct application of INTERSOS and donor procedures
• Produce monthly internal specific report and elaborate mid-term and final report according donors rules and regulation and INTERSOS Project Appraisal Tool, ensuring accurate data collection and timely submission
• Ensure accurate data collection is done ethically and safely and that reports are submitted in a timely manner for all activities within the project
• Promote age, gender and diversity sensitive approaches into the project activities
• Ensure that all relevant non-specialized staffs, as well as community volunteers and local counterparts, are familiar with the mandate of the organization and that basic humanitarian principles are understood
Required profile and experience
BA in relevant field (Social Science, Psychology, Social Work, Human Rights, International Humanitarian Law or other fields related to social development and humanitarian work)
Desirable Master degree (MA or LLM) in Human Rights, International Humanitarian Law or related subjects.
Minimum of five years of relevant project management working experience in the humanitarian sector.
Very good knowledge and understanding of protection related issues
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Demonstrate experience with different donors compliance and reporting
- Leadership, people management and development, teamwork and cooperation
- Strategic vision
Fluency in English language mandatory and knowledge of local languages (Hausa, Kanuri desirable)
- Results and quality orientation
- Behavioural flexibility
- Commitment to INTERSOS principles
- Understanding of humanitarian operations principles, standards and best practices
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/60c08d0684f394001e8b8328/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “**Platform issue** – SR-XXXX – Position”.**
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.