Job position – Protection Officer Work location – Field based – Ngala& Maiduguri
Reporting to – Senior Protection OfficerSupervision of – Case Worker
General purpose of the position
Under guidance of the Senior Protection Officer, the role supports implementation of the INTERSOS Nigeria’s protection programme with the objective of providing timely and effective protection to targeted populations. Supervises protection interventions including the provision of appropriate and timely supervision of case management services, identifying training needs of protection assistants, and ensuring that protection issues are effectively embedded in all programming. The role supports during protection and ensures protection services and activities are delivered in line with INTERSOS and international quality standards.
Tasks and Main Responsibilities
- Oversees the distribution of cases among the case workers by the Case Worker Team Leader, ensuring that team and individual caseloads are reflective of INTERSOS guidelines and SOPs;
- Verifies the status of the case management database, conducts case reviews and provides feedback to the CASE Worker Team Leader and Case Workers;
- Supports in developing tools to ensure up to date and technically sound mechanisms are in place for gender and protection mainstreaming.
- Provides guidance to outreach volunteers and social workers in the planning and implementation of participatory community activities, awareness sessions and campaigns and in the general communication with communities;
- Supports the planning, implementation and reporting on all protection activities via monthly workplans, schedules and team management;
- Assists in decision-making vis-à-vis material assistance to beneficiaries, documenting for both technical and financial reporting;
- Provides individual supervision sessions on a weekly basis to each case worker team leader, supporting and coaching them in their duties using various methods. Support the case worker team leaders’ ability to find solutions and respond appropriately to daily challenges;
- Identifies gaps and training needs for the case workers and case worker team leads and request support from the Senior Protection Officer to provide the same. Provide learning opportunities via the delivery of trainings, workshops and role modelling;
- Compiles information from protection focal points and provide weekly reports to the Gender and Protection Manager and the relevant thematic manager with observations and recommendations to enhance the protection environment.
- Provides verbal and written feedback on a daily basis to direct supervisor; assist in writing regular narrative and quantitative reports when requested.
- Conducts field visits to distribution sites, areas of operation, centers, and other areas where Human Appeal conducts activities.
- University degree in a related field (e.g. Social Work, Psychology, Law)
- Minimum 5-years of relevant work experience in psychology, social work, case management, counselling, etc.;
- Minimum 3- of work experience with an INGO, NGOs and/or local authorities in years Nigeria in the protection sector;
- Minimum 2-year of supervisory experience with an INGO, NGOs and/or local authorities in Nigeria
- Advanced computer literacy (Microsoft Office Suite, e-mail, internet, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills, writing and reporting skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability and motivation to work well with local authorities, local leaders and local community.
- Willing to work extra hours and available at the weekend for emergency cases.
- Capacity to work under pressure and willingness to work and live in a complex context.
- Excellent leadership, planning, organisation, people management and time management skills;
How to apply
Interested candidates should complete this form and attach CV with the following format “Surname Position you applied for”. ONLY applicants whose competencies meet the requirement of the position will be contacted.
Application deadline: apply no later than 24th July 2022 at 4:00 PM.
INTERSOS do not ask for any form of payment at any stage of recruitment. Applications are processed according to the order of arrival. INTERSOS reserves the right to close the offer before the term initially expressed in the advert, if an applicant is accepted.