Psychologist Consultant at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job Field
Medical / Healthcare
Locations: Zurmi and Shinkafi-Zamfara
Report to: Project Medical referent
Report to (functional): Project Medical referent
Duration of assignment: 3 months
- Providing psychological support to patients according to MSF principles, standards and procedures in order to improve the patients’ mental health.
- Carrying out evaluation of mental health needs of patients and establishing a diagnosis and a plan of treatment. Informing the patient and his/her relatives about the possible consequences of the illness and the drug treatment to follow and referring patients to other health professionals whenever necessary, in order to provide the most appropriate treatment and improve the patient’s condition
- Implementing the Sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV) protocol, identifying possible victims of SGBV and referring them to the medical team so that they receive the necessary treatment.
- Providing psychological support and psychotherapy sessions (individual, family, group) to patients according to MSF protocols in order to improve their mental health conditions
- Assisting and training staff members and resourceful people whenever necessary in order to enhance the scope of MH activities. Working in close collaboration with translators in order to ensure appropriate terminology and behavior during sessions
- Collecting statistical and monitoring data about mental health activities
- Informing the supervisor and the medical team about any issues or problems that may arise related to patients’ treatment in order to provide the best possible solution from a medical perspective
- Ensuring that all patient information is kept confidential.
- Education: Essential Degree or Diploma in Psychology.
- Experience: Essential 2 years’ experience minimum as a Psychologist. Having worked with MSF or other NGO…is desirable.
- Languages: English and Hausa MANDATORY and other minority language is essential: Fulani (please don’t apply if you don’t accomplish that).
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet).
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Stress Management
NGN 334,159 (monthly) as per the MSF scale (Consultancy contract).
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV, motivation letter and copies of credentials by email to: [email protected] (in the subject please to put the position and the reference for while you are applying).
In person to MSF SPAIN Office at:
No. 46 New Albarka Road,
Tudun Wada Prea,
Gusau, Zamfara State.
- Applications should be accompanied by copy of the NYSC certificate.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- MSF Encourages Women and People with Disability Status to Apply.
- MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual colloborating with MSF either directly or indirectly does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.