Re-advertised – Health Officer, NO-B, FT, Sokoto, Nigeria, #90850
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, an advocate
In Nigeria, UNICEF works in a complex humanitarian and development setting to fulfill and protect children’s rights. UNICEF Nigeria is one of the largest UNICEF Country Offices globally. In partnership with government, civil society, children and families, Click the link to learn more about UNICEF in Nigeria:https://www.unicef.org/nigeria/.
UNICEF Nigeria is looking for an experienced Health Officer to become part of a highly motivated and committed team of over 500 staff who work to bring visible changes in the lives of the most disadvantaged children in Nigeria.
How can you make a difference?
You will help with planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of scaling-up cost-effective Health intervention packages. You will also participate in data-driven situational analyses, including epidemiological and emergency assessments; provide specific technical expertise on Health policies and other issues; provide in-country technical and operational support; and help monitor, evaluate and report on related Health programs. The key responsibilities include:
Support to program development and planning
- Conduct/update situation analysis for the program sector/s for development, design and management of health related programs. Research and report on development trends (e.g. political social, economic, health) for higher management use to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery of results.
- Contribute to the development/establishment of sectoral program goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through analysis of health needs and areas for intervention and submission of recommendations for priority and goal setting.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical program transactions, preparing materials/documentations and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support program planning, results based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluating results.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the program review and approval process.
Program management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations and/or alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts to assess programs and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation/goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Prepare regular/mandated sectoral program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
Technical and operational support to programme implementation
- Conduct regular program field visits and surveys and/or exchange information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support, take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on health and related issues to support program implementation, operations and delivery of results.
Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with health sector government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to enhance program implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to deliver concrete and sustainable results.
- Draft communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for health programs.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) on health programs to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of health programs/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF position and strategies with the UNDAF development and planning process.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
- Assist with oversight of research and ensure results are available for use in knowledge products
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: health, public health, global/International health, health policy and management, environmental health, family health, health research, biostatistics, socio-medical sciences, epidemiology, health education, health promotion and disease prevention, educational Interventions in health care, demography, social sciences, medicine, nursing, or a field relevant to international public health development assistance.
- Two years of relevant professional work experience related to developmental assistance in health.
- Experience working in the UN or other international development organization, and field work experience an asset
- Background/familiarity with Emergency.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset..
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
How to apply:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=530479