Regional Programme Producer
REPORTS TO: Project Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Production of Regional Programme
START DATE: October 2020
BASED IN: Maiduguri, Nigeria
ABOUT OKAPI IN NIGERIA
Okapi creates programmes in the Kanuri language for Radio Ndarason International (RNI) which broadcasts from Ndjamena, Chad to the entire Lake Chad basin region in Kanuri, Kanembu, Buduma and French on shortwave and FM, as well as via live-streaming. The station provides a platform that allows for the free-flow of information throughout the Lake Chad basin, regardless of borders or physical barriers.
The regional radio network interacts with the estimated 10 million Kanuri/Kanembu speakers as well as those who speak Buduma, Kanembu, French and English in order to encourage a constructive dialogue for peace and progress in a region decimated by Boko Haram.
We are an innovative and rapidly growing organisation, working at the nexus between media and peacebuilding.
Find out more on our website; www.ndarason.com
We are looking for a talented, motivated and experienced Producer to produce a Regional program. Applications will be reviewed as received. See below details of the position:
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The Producer will participate in Programme planning, contacts, invitees and organizes, writes production plans for the Regional Program. S/he is aware of and accepts that the demands of radio production may often need flexibility and working outside normal office hours in order to meet deadlines or to deal with evolving situations.
The Producer reports to the Project Manager for all matters and must participate in regular meetings with
them, as directed.
S/he is responsible for:
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Languages English, strong preference for Kanuri and Hausa
• Live radio experience
• Experience managing complex radio programmes
• Experience in political debate production
• At least 15 years Journalism/production experience
• Excellent understanding / analysis of regional political and peace and security issues
• Good contacts with key players in the policy making, peace and security field
• Ability and experience to manage a large and diverse team
• Ability to make quick decisions
• Ability to work under pressure
• Authority & determination& flexibility
• High production values, creative and innovative
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Knowledge of Kanuri, Hausa is an advantage
• Has a good contact and knowledge with officials in NE-Nigeria
• At least a degree in Mass Communications, or equivalent radio experience
REQUIRED SKILLS ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
• Knowledge and understanding of Radio and digital platforms across Nigeria, and especially in the
• Innovative ideas and initiative to contribute to editorial strategies, planning and the development
of the Regional Programme agenda
• Experience of stakeholder management and working collaboratively
• Fluent English is essential and fluency in language(s) spoken in North East Nigeria is an advantage
• Detailed current knowledge of the COVID 19 and the changing needs of the audience
• Thorough knowledge of North East Nigeria news and the Lake Chad Basin current affairs
Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
• Editorial Judgement – demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough
knowledge the NE-Nigeria Region and Region around Lake Chad.
• Communication – the ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles,
tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
• Managing relationships – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of
• Imagination / Creative Thinking – is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality.
3 Okapi Net Foundation Regional Programme Producer for Radio Programs (June 2020)
• Planning and Organisation – is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate
course of action for yourself and others.
• Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as
deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
• Resilience – can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure,
setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
Okapi Net Foundation team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our radio listeners and to international standards guiding media and broadcasting work.
Maintaining a professional attitude throughout and is careful to maintain good relations with any and all
staff, consultants and freelancers, as well as with NGOs, agencies and donors in Nigeria
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Journalists
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: All staff, all heads of departments, Deputy Director and undertaking
How to apply:
Suitable candidates should email a cover letter and CV to [email protected]