Reproductive Health M/E Officer – Maiduguri at International Rescue Committee
Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers emergency aid and long-term assistance to refugees and those displaced by war, persecution or natural disaster. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries and 22 U…
Read more about this company
Reproductive Health M/E Officer – Maiduguri
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience None
- Location Borno
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field office in Mubi town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria followed by offices in Yola (Adamawa state) in November 2014, Maiduguri (Borno state) in October 2015 and Damaturu (Yobe state). The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectoral interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Economic Recovery and Development and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs.
The purpose of the RH M&E Officer position is to coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation, and analysis of data to track programs/ projects activities, monitor progress and support impact measurement. S/he will also conduct development research, engage in reflective practice, and generate lessons from projects/program and prepare M&E plans for the Reproductive Health (RH) sector. S/he is responsible for establishing and ensuring better field level data management systems for the core program s/he is assigned to and coordinates the proper and timely evaluation of project objectives/impact. S/he will contribute to the existing client response mechanisms and ensure program staff participation in M&E activities. The position holder will closely work with sector manager(s), front line staff, and community/facility volunteers. S/he also will work closely with the M&E unit on technical matters and reports to the M&E Manager and the Reproductive Health manager(s).
Program/project design and learning (20% of time)
- Participate in program/ project design especially in developing RH logframes and also contribute learning from previous projects
- Responsible for the development and continuously update RH project M&E, and impact measurement tools and systems on timely fashion.
- Support to develop and make sure all the projects in the RH has tested monitoring tools that capture both program activity and indicators progresses;
- Take part in diagnostic studies, evaluations and surveys;
- Responsible for organizing periodical ongoing RH level data review, reflective practice, evaluation and progress monitoring events by involving communities and local partners;
- Responsible for organizing RH panel monitoring and/or similar M&E events to ensure accountability to the target community, with relevant stakeholders including communities and ensure their dissemination to concerned parties;
- With support from the M&E Manager, RH manager(s) and coordinator, establish and maintain project level information management system;
- Contribute to designing RH strategy to collect field level information required by IRC, donors and/or stakeholders;
- Responsible for proactively ensuring networking and sharing of lessons from the RH core program with strategic partners and other stakeholder including government;
- Responsible for coordinating synergy and cross-learning among different projects;
- Responsible for cross fertilizing learning among projects by regularly producing (compiling) summary monitoring reports and sharing to RH staff and partners.
Monitoring and evaluation (50% of time)
- Responsible for tracking RH progress against monitoring work plans;
- Coordinate the RH field level community participatory monitoring and evaluation, reflective practice and impact measurement;
- Responsible for ensuring the on-time execution of RH projects major monitoring and evaluation events including but not limited to baseline survey, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation, data quality audit and field supervision;
- Responsible for providing technical support to RH staff and partner organization on information management system, proper data collection and record keeping;
- Responsible for updating RH M&E plan timely and provide feedback to program staff on status and quality of implementation.
- Responsible for RH monthly and/or quarterly performance indicator analysis, including generation of reports as well as presentations for staff related to on-going performance;
- Responsible for conducting RH regular data verification exercises to ensure reporting and collection of quality data;
- Responsible for verifying RH entered data for completeness, correctness, and consistency and follow up on any data quality issues;
- Responsible for documenting findings from RH data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access;
- Actively participate in and contribute to M&E team activities, system assessments, development and implementation of new systems and/or tools aimed at strengthening overall M&E practices at IRC Nigeria;
- Responsible for closely working with RH staff to ensure they follow correct procedures and criteria during beneficiary registration;
- Accountable for the recruitment of enumerators and support in other survey including engagement of consultants;
- Contribute to providing M&E inputs for RH report written during project implementation;
- Responsible for periodically conducting RH reflective practice forums at field office/ project level and compile lessons from project implementation processes.
Information management and reporting (10% of time)
- Support in establishing and maintaining RH project information management system;
- Responsible for submitting RH data set to update country office wide program database on monthly basis;
- Responsible for compiling RH regular project monitoring report, including lessons learned, prepared by different projects and application of evaluation recommendations;
- Support to ensuring all projects have downward/ forward client responsiveness mechanisms and works with project RH staff to make sure its implementation;
- Responsible for compiling quarterly, biannual and annual tabular, and narrative RH reports (as required by project stakeholders) on projects’ accomplishments by cost and alert the management for special deviations from the plan.
Capacity building and supervision (10% of time)
- Responsible for providing assistance to RH local partners in designing monitoring and reporting tools and establishing database management systems.
- Responsible for the orientation of RH front line staff, partners’ staff and volunteers on the monitoring tools and train them how to use data for decision making;
- Accountable for coaching, mentoring, and supervising assistant M&E Officer/s (if applicable),
- Responsible for her/his subordinate/s in completing performance management activities including: performance planning, monitoring, and annual performance appraisals;
Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor (10% of time)
- Perform other task related assignment proposed by his/her supervisor/s
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: M&E manager, RH manager(s)
Position directly supervised by: M&E and RH manager
Indirect Reporting: M&E coordinator, Health coordinator, SAM/FC
- Degree in statistics, computer science/information management/or any other related field;
- Excellent computer skills are required (particularly Advanced Microsoft Excel, Access and Word);
- At least two-year experience working in monitoring and evaluation preferred;
- Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required;
- Ability to work independently, think analytically and take initiative in solving problems;
- Ability to communicate technical issues effectively;
- Familiarity with log frame analysis and M&E plan;
- Experience in conducting assessment;
- Health/Reproductive Health background and Working with highly vulnerable and displaced people would be added advantage;
- Good verbal communication skills in local languages and working knowledge of English;
- Most importantly, commitment to IRC values and principles;
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with groups of diverse backgrounds.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love