Senior Compliance Officer
Job Title: Senior Compliance Officer
Location: Bauchi based and with travel to project state offices in Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi, Gombe and Sokoto, and other locations as needed, and per current security situation. Start Date: August 2022 Reporting: The Senior Compliance Officer reports to the Compliance Manager
The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency and effectiveness of selected state and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria. This will be achieved by: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation) related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene [WASH]); increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary).
State2State will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers and building on locally derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria.
The Senior Compliance Officer will be responsible for supporting operations of the project to ensure adherence to regulatory standards and industry best practices. S/he will bring a systematic and disciplined approach to the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes as related to project implementation. This position requires proven experience and knowledge of FAR, USAID ADS, AIDAR, Nigerian regulatory bodies and laws and ability to rapidly learn DAI financial management, accounting principles, procurement and operational procedures. S/he will ensure transparent, audit-ready project operations. S/he will travel in-person to the various project locations located throughout Nigeria as needed to do on-site reviews.
Responsibilities The Senior Compliance Officer will support the Compliance Manager in managing and advising on compliance matters relating to finance, human resources, procurement, programmatic and subcontract efforts to ensure these activities are carried out according to USAID rules and regulations and DAI policies and procedures.
Specifically, the Senior Compliance Officer will perform the following job duties:
- Support the Compliance Manager in developing a targeted, risk-based, and coherent annual compliance plan, disseminate the plan to management and core operations teams and ensure strict adherence/implementation of the plan within stipulated timelines;
- Conduct periodic internal reviews and investigation of compliance issues to ensure that procedures are followed and prepare detailed findings memoranda for management and advise on next steps;
- Review all areas of DAI/State2State operations including grants, procurement, vehicle usage, stock management, finance, IT, human resources, TIP compliance, legal compliance, and inventory control to identify and mitigate risks;
- Maintain documentation of compliance activities, such as complaints received or investigation outcomes;
- Review documentation such as procurement and human resource records to ensure there are no violations of standards or regulations;
- Provide employee training on compliance-related topics, policies or procedures;
- Monitor the implementation of company policies and procedures;
- Conduct independent review of procurement processes;
- Review documentation on subcontracts and grants to ensure that the overall project implementation complies with USAID rules and regulations and DAI policies and procedures;
- Participate in the development and implementation of systems that result in improved operational efficiency and reduced organizational risk;
- Analyze trends and collect statistics and submit quarterly reports on operational risks;
- Support internal/external audits, and coordinate action plans to close out audit findings;
- Conduct investigations on instructions from the Compliance Manager related to suspected fraud, waste or abuse, ensuring timely completion of investigations while maintaining confidentiality; and
- Perform other duties, of a related and reasonable nature, as assigned by the Compliance Manager .
- Bachelor’s degree in Law, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent field of study.
- Master’s degree preferred with consideration of experience in lieu of an advanced degree.
- Minimum of 3 years of practical work experience in compliance and a maximum of 7 years total work experience for USAID or international development organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in USAID contracting and grants under contract (GUCs), and other USG international development regulations.
- Knowledge of project management procedures for planning and processing international development projects and for establishing plans, specifications, monitoring and management of development projects.
- Knowledge of USG procurement regulations and of the FAR/AIDAR.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Fluency in English Language.
- Capacity, willingness and ability to train and be trained.
Application Closing Date August 8th, 2022.
Method of Application Interested and qualified candidates should click on the link to apply: https://fs23.formsite.com/OLJTgx/1shddrvp3i/index.html
Note: Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to apply
Please apply using this link: https://fs23.formsite.com/OLJTgx/1shddrvp3i/index.html