Senior Counsel – Financial Operations at the OPEC Fund for International Development
The OPEC Fund for International Development is a multilateral development finance institution established in 1976. Our 12 Member Countries are: Algeria, Ecuador, Gabon, Indonesia, the Islamic Republic of Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Counsel – Financial Operations
Location: Austria (AT)
- The position is responsible for providing legal advice and assistance to the Financial Operations Department, including the Treasury and Funding Units, on funding, resource mobilisation, derivatives, liquid asset investment and other finance-related matters, with a view to ensuring the highest standards of legal advice and documentation, protection of the OPEC Fund’s interests and compliance with the OPEC Fund’s mandate, policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Senior Director and General Counsel, the responsibilities of the Senior Counsel –Financial Operations will include:
- Providing interpretation and legal opinion on the OPEC Fund’s financial regulations, regulatory and relevant policies and rules.
- Providing legal support to the OPEC Fund’s middle-office following the debt issuance, including drafting of specimen legal documentation to ensure adherence to best practices, applicable law and relevant OPEC fund standards and policies.
- Reporting and providing recommendations to the Senior Director and General Counsel on significant developments, emerging opportunities and challenges in the area of finance operations.
- Identifying issues of importance on finance matters in relation to OPEC Fund’s operations and conducting research, analysis and studies on a wide range of legal issues, including interpretation of legal instruments;
- Supporting and advising the Treasury and Funding Units in the negotiation and drafting of documentation for implementing the borrowing program and debt capital market transactions including the issuance of bonds and commercial papers
- Assisting in the preparation and the review of documentation for derivatives and other risk management transactions, including the negotiation of ISDA master agreements, Credit Support Annexes and other transaction documents.
- Reviewing and revising global clearing, custody, execution and repurchase agreements to facilitate OPEC Fund’s investment and risk management.
- Providing support to the Treasury Team on funding related issues, including compliance with listing rules, swap and hedge transactions and documentation of debt issuances, including comfort letters and due diligence exercises.
- Carrying out other tasks assigned by the supervisor that are related to the job functions.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least a Master’s Degree in Law or Finance plus a First Degree in Law or a Juris Doctor (JD)) and admission to the Bar.
- At least ten years of relevant professional experience in a Multilateral Development Bank or a reputable international law firm, with proven technical competence and experiences in the debt capital markets and banking practice
Skills and Competences:
- High level skills in communication and negotiation as well as the ability to build partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders and deliver results that meet the needs of the Legal Service Department’s work program.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Ability to work within a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work with little supervision and under pressure.
- Seasoned knowledge in the current trends of development and familiarity with international law, and related matters within the OPEC Fund and other international organizations.
- Capacity to conceive and supervise the negotiation of complex legal documents including ISDA Master Agreements, Global Master Repurchase Agreements, and bond issues (standalone or medium-term note program).
- Ability to work and deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
- Excellent command of English, including drafting and negotiating legal documents in English. Knowledge of other languages (French/Spanish/Arabic) will be advantage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply