Senior Development and IT Operations Engineer at 54gene
54gene was founded in 2019 by Dr. Abasi Ene-Obong to address the significant gap in the global genomics market; Nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is Caucasian. Only 2% is African, despite the fact that Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Development and IT Operations Engineer
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Job Type: Full time
Reports to: VP, Engineering
- We are looking for a Senior Development and IT Operations Engineer who will be responsible for mentoring and teaching existing team members.
- As such, the ideal candidate must have experience clearly explaining solutions to complex problems and demonstrate the ability to lead and impact knowledge effectively to junior resources, and have a background in development, operations, and full-stack implementations with experience programming in a high-level language such as Ruby, Python, Java, C# or other language to script installation, configuration and provisioning.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with application developers to automate and accelerate the testing, release and deployment of applications into a runtime environment quickly and reliably.
- Provide continuous delivery solutions in a cloud environment with the core suite of tools used to manage different cloud providers.
- Establish and employ continuous integration practices and tools such as Jenkins or other CI tools.
- Employ industry Continuous Delivery patterns and collaboratively work with other members to achieve successful continuous delivery solutions
- Manage a broad portfolio of AWS infrastructure tools (EBS, S3, EC2, Elastic IP, Route 53, VPC)
- Manage integration and deployment tools such as Jenkins, Hudson, etc.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, systems analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience spanning at least two IT disciplines, including technical architecture, application development, or operations.
- 3+ more years experience in designing large and complex IT operations in large organizations is required.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Experience in the use of configuration management automation tools such as Puppet (or other such tools) in creating continuous delivery systems.
- Working knowledge of enterprise data center technologies including storage platforms, network switching, and security infrastructure within a virtualized data center.
- Team lead experience required
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes
- Strong understanding of application development methodologies
- Adept at evaluating problems accurately and displaying sound judgment
- Experience with cloud infrastructure management and automation technologies (Chef, Puppet).
- Scripting (shell, python, ruby) skills for monitoring and automation
- Experience optimizing applications, both stand-alone and in distributed systems to maximize performance
- Experience maintaining an infrastructure and ensuring stability while adding new features
- Ability to clearly articulate design and implementation choices
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools
- Comfort with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment
- Possess a strong grasp of automation tools
- Comfort with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders
- Experience working and managing large scale infrastructure is required
- Authorization to work in Nigeria
- The duties stated are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed.
- They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required.
- Other related duties may be assigned within scope of ability.
Application Closing Date