Senior IMO – Technical Advisor
The incumbent will support and effectively contribute to the initiation, planning, design, development and implementation of humanitarian technical advise program in Nigeria. The role also involves support to the effective coordination of training and capacity building interventions at the different stages of the humanitarian training cycle. Responsible to the Country Representative for Nigeria and Africa Desk Officer will provide support to capacity building activities such as organization of training workshops and learning sessions to transfer knowledge, skills and techniques for effective humanitarian response.
Description of Duties
- Overall Purpose of the role:
- Under the responsibility of the iMMAP Nigeria Country Representative, The Senior IMO – Technical Advisor will supervise and monitor all departments and their activities in Maiduguri-Borno State related to operations implemented in order to ensure donor and internal compliance to regulations and procedures.
- The IMO will proactively gather information from sector partners, government authorities which may be of use to the sector for informing decisions;
- The IMO will identify gaps in current implementing partner participants and will engage with NGOs, humanitarian and development organisations to restore renew or join participation in data sharing or IM support.
- The IMO will identify barriers for information collection, collation, analysis and sharing.
- The IMO will ensure timely preparation and generation of information products, and support on information sharing and dissemination through web platforms to all relevant humanitarian implementing partners.
- The IMO will adapt appropriate existing IM tools including those available in-country (including from other sectors) and global level. As appropriate, design of data collection forms, ensuring that the purpose and use of all data collected is clear, collectable and easily collectable, highlighting where potential problems might arise; organise and manage the data input and initial analysis and presentation of data for the sector;
- The IMO will develop standard formats for, and regular output of publication of materials and statistics highlighting the humanitarian situation in country upon request.
- The IMO will facilitate mobile data collection, form development and data management.
- The IMO will generate statistical reports, graphs, maps and follow up on cluster specific trends.
- The IMO will support new and ongoing assessments.
- Collect and consolidate data from various partners, prepare and submit reports on regular bases
- Manage, analyse, document data and information from INGOs interventions
- Map assistance coverage in specified area, analyse and report the potential gaps
- Produce, share maps illustrating scale/coverage of assistance
- Record, document and share coordination meeting minutes
- Maintain data bases, provide data entry if required
- Establish and maintain filing and documentation system accessible for humanitarian partners working in the area
- Training and Capacity Building
- Conduct of training needs assessments to establish priority needs and gaps in humanitarian information management capacity;
- Planning and scheduling of capacity building activities in consultation with key stakeholders;
- Development of training and sessions plans, goals and objectives for humanitarian capacity building programmes based on identifies gaps and capacity building priorities;
- Design and develop capacity building curricula, syllabi and learning materials;
- Organize and deliver/co-facilitate and core and advanced training and capacity building activities consistent to the needs of the humanitarian partners;
- Research, identify and develop appropriate training packages on emerging tools and innovative technologies that enhance partner ability for effective utilization of IM tools;
- Develop or identify training content and/or supporting reference resources such as presentations, practical exercises, and handouts to facilitate learning;
- Conduct pre-training, in-training and post-training evaluation for feedback, address challenges and impediments to effective learning, document and share lessons learnt;
- Liaise with other iMMAP capacity building programmes and ensure consistency and standardization of activities and material where possible.
- Facilitate staff’s ability to use existing and emerging technology to achieve organization’s mission and objectives;
- Train and provide technical support to the identified staff as needed on all Information Management tools and processes;
- Provide mentorship and support within the scope of iMMAP capacity building plan;
- Any other duties as required.
- Information and Communication
- Support iMMAP’s overall information, communication and reporting function about the humanitarian information support to the sectors in north eastern Nigeria;
- Draft humanitarian capacity building success stories for inclusion in iMMAP’s reports, newsletters and social media platforms;
- Ensure compliance with approved branding, marking and co-branding requirements with iMMAP’s donors and partners as per guidance.
- Strategic Partnerships/Engagement
- Provide support in identifying partners (within government ministries, departments and agencies, donors, national and international NGOs, research organizations, Red Cross/Red Crescent, the academia) on issues of strategic engagement to co-operate on humanitarian, recovery and development aspects of common importance;
- From time to time, represent iMMAP at fora and meetings, provide information about iMMAP’s activities, discuss and negotiate partnership and support possibilities with partners and stakeholders.
- A- Professional Qualifications and Experience:
- An advanced university degree or equivalent experience in the fields of education and information management;
- At least five years of relevant work experience and a background in non-profit, internationally-focused organizations;
- Understanding of the UN cluster/sector system and how it operates.
- Experience in humanitarian, crisis recovery and resilience aspects are highly desirable;
- An appreciation of considerations in designing training content focused on the needs of adult learners;
- Progressively responsible experience in designing needs assessments, data management, mapping and visualization, coaching and training.
- B- Context-related Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailor’s language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; is willing to learn from others;
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them with appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client;
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology;
- Representation: Where appropriate, represent the iMMAP in various fora. Maintain effective and positive contacts with the national and local government officials, international non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and donor agency officials, when required.
- C- Behavioral Competencies
- Ability to understand and adapt to complex and dynamic situations;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Takes initiatives, manages own use of time and is self-motivating;
- Proven ability to work in teams;
- Flexible and creative.
- Position based in Abuja with travel to other locations in Nigeria.
- Consultancy Contract.
- Consultancy Fees, depending on experience, Daily Allowance and lodging
- The position is expected to be a full-time position.
Personnel is expected to conduct itself in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and iMMAP’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Countries.
iMMAP has zero-tolerance for sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, human trafficking, child abuse and exploitation. Any violations of these principles and policies will be treated as serious misconduct.
iMMAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background.
DISCLAIMER: Note that due to the urgency of this position, application will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position may be filled before the recruitment closing date.
How to apply:
Please apply through: https://careers.immap.org/jobs/176