Senior Manager, Finance and Accounting, West & Central Africa (Abuja, Nigeria)
About Evidence Action
Our organization was founded in 2013 to address a big gap in the fight against global poverty–many of the most promising interventions are either implemented at a very small scale, or not at all. We set out to address this gap by building programs that would scale evidence-based and cost-effective interventions, leading to significant improvements in quality of life for hundreds of millions of people.
Our model worked. In less than a decade, our two flagship programs, the Deworm the World Initiative and Dispensers for Safe Water, have grown to measurably impact over 280 million people each year. This success is achieved through the dedication and talent of our staff, the hard work of our partners, and the commitment of our supporters.
By 2024, we seek to double our impact. We are strengthening and expanding our existing programs, and working to identify a new generation of evidence-based and cost-effective interventions that we can scale to reach millions more.
Job Title: Senior Manager, Finance and Accounting, West & Central Africa
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Employment Status: Full time
Application Closing Date: 20th May 2022
- This position will have primary responsibility in the oversight of the regional finance and accounting function for Evidence Action across its countries of operation in West and Central Africa. This will include providing direction to the country finance and accounting teams, and liaising with the country leadership to ensure the country teams coordinate the finance and accounting tasks across the sub-region.
- The position will be responsible for ensuring alignment, coordination, and compliance with the finance and accounting policies, processes, and systems in the sub-region.
· The position will coordinate and ensure the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and booking transactions and proper serialization and safe filing.
- The position has access to organization’s confidential information that need to be protected by adhering to organization’s values by keeping information confidential.
- The Senior Manager, Finance will act as a resource and/or coordinate resources between Sub region and country offices, and perform other duties as defined by the department lead/leadership.
Duties and responsibilities
- Team Management
o Provide mentorship and guidance to the WCA Sub region Finance team
o Will regularly communicate with program, country, and WCA Sub Region leads to identify capacity needs and oversee the country Finance functions.
o Responsible for developing/refining and regularly reporting on Key Performance Indicators and Metrics to management concerning the team operations and capacity/gaps.
B. Program Funds Management
· In coordination with DFO, will prepare monthly WCA Sub Region Funds Requests to be submitted to HQ, ensuring that the minimum amount of funds are available for the in-country teams to fully implement projects activities and meet all Evidence Action financial engagements in a timely manner
· Maintain financial and accounting system and reporting as guided by the Evidence Action Finance Manual and guidance/policies
· Review all invoices and payments to ascertain compliance with Evidence Action/Donor’s procedures including availability of funds before approvals are done.
· Maintain good working relationships with Evidence Action bankers at both WCA Sub Region office and Country offices
· Perform periodic reviews/expenditures analysis and certify the general ledger, cash book, trial balance and other pertinent reports generated in Sage Intacct accounting software package
· Maintain/Track Accounts Receivable (A/R) for all program staff and ensure settlement of all cash advances within specified timeframe as per financial manual
C. Budgeting and Reporting
· Coordinate and maintain WCA Sub Region budgetary controls of expenses, in consultation with Evidence Action’s grants senior manager and DFO.
· Coordinate and review accuracy of the Accounting entries to ensure they are completed within the set timeline to facilitate timely monthly/quarterly donor and management reporting.
· In collaboration with grants senior manager timely coordination and monitoring of all proposed reclasses as advised by the budget holders and other program leads.
D. Grants Management and Facilitation of Audits
· Oversee the facilitation and management of the sub-grant making process through Grants Manager as per Evidence Action Grants Manual, in tandem with donor’s rules and regulations on financial management
· Participate in capacity building of both finance and non-finance staff.
· Prepare for and facilitate external/internal audits as appropriate in consultation with DFO and US office and respond to audit(s) queries.
E. General financial Administration
· Remain up to date on Government regulations and donor‘s financial management and reporting requirements
· Coordinate and guide all financial staff in preparation of Evidence Action annual audits as per schedule and guidance provided.
· Supervise, coordinate and provide technical support to WCA Sub Region Finance staff and conduct review of their duties as appropriate from time to time
· Assist in knowledge management process by providing accurate, sound, and timely professional advice to the management of Evidence Action by providing refresh training/orient new Finance /Admin staff on the Evidence Action finance manual and accounting system.
· Develop/Design tools or put in place a system to assist finance staff to conduct day to day follow- up of the program advances, asset management and assure accurate tracking and reconciliation
· Participate in the staff appraisals for the Country finance leads WCA sub region direct reports.
· Maintain good relations with Evidence Action stakeholders including Donors, Government, Partners, and Communities; adequately espousing Evidence Action principles at all times
· Contribute in all relevant meetings involving consideration of policy/procedures formulation issues relating to the overall operations of the organization.
· Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the DFO.
● Master Degree, preferred but not required.
● Minimum Bachelor’s degree in finance or a related field.
● Be a registered member of at least one chartered accountant’s professional body in West or Central Africa.
● Bilingual (French and English) strongly preferred.
Min 7 years’ work experience in a position with similar responsibilities
● Strategic and tactical critical thinker with good analytical and problem solving skills.
● Confident decision maker who can communicate directions and solutions clearly to both technical and non-technical staff.
● Understanding of the business role Operations and Logistics function within the programs and organization, and to set objectives based on that.
● Demonstrated leadership in managing others.
● Metrics driven performance philosophy.
● Proficiency with Microsoft Windows 7 and 10, Skype, Microsoft Office 2013-16
● Good English written and verbal competence.
Preferred Qualifications include:
· Higher education (Master’s Degree in relevant field)
· Professional Certification
· Management experience (Experience leading a team)
· International Development experience (Experience working for a non-profit)
● Primary work hours and location must include business hours (9:00am-5:00pm), Monday to Friday, in Evidence Action’s Abuja office and any adjustments in agreement with the Director, Finance and Operations, Africa.
● Off-hour work may be required as necessary for overseeing/completing planned activities, participating in international conference calls across time-zones, or responding to emergency situations.
● Some travel. The Senior Manager will visit offices across Nigeria, and other countries within WC Africa when necessary for the purpose of training and meetings of program and country staff.
● Senior Associate Finance, Nigeria
● Senior Associate Finance and Ops, Liberia
Equal Opportunity Statement
Evidence Action does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should click the link below to apply