Senior Manager, Nigeria Policy and Government Affairs at Global Citizen (Lagos and Abuja)
We are looking for suitably qualified candidate to lead Global Citizen’s advocacy and campaigning in Nigeria in the position below:
Job Title: Senior Manager, Nigeria Policy and Government Affairs
Job type: Full time
- As Nigeria Policy and Government Affairs Sr. Manager, you will lead GC’s advocacy and campaigning towards the Nigerian Federal and State-level Government.
- You will implement the organisational policy and campaign strategy in Nigeria, ensuring that it aligns with and stems from the global and West Africa regional strategy.
- As part of the Global Policy and Government Affairs (GPA) team, you will work closely with GPA colleagues in New York and around the world.
- You will manage relationships with the Nigerian government, partner organisations and donors. And work cross-sector – across philanthropy, corporates, CSOs and governments – to deliver on new commitments towards achieving the SDGs in Nigeria over the coming year, with a particular focus on building invesmtnets in human capital.
- Be responsible for identifying, shaping and delivering on new financial and policy commitments towards the SDSs in Nigeria from corporate, government, NGO and philanthropic stakeholders.
- Inform Global Citizen’s policy, advocacy and campaign strategy in Nigeria. Ensure campaigns are targeting the correct decision makers, with appropriate asks, in a timely manner.
- Deliver on Global Citizen’s policy, advocacy and campaigns strategy in Nigeria, by building up the number of Global Citizens taking campaigning actions, (working closely with marketing colleagues), delivering on policy and campaigns activities (such as events, meetings, workshops) and providing commitment makers with opportunities to make public commitments.
- Lead on campaign outreach with multiple parts of the Nigerian government, including the President, Vice President, Ministers and State Governors, with the aim of securing national and sub-national commitments from the Nigerian government to accelerate progress towards the SDGs and Global Citizen’s campaign objectives, including water and sanitation, education and nutrition.
- Play a major role in helping to identify key partners, allies, supporters (grassroots and multinational NGOs etc), customized by state for sub-national campaigns where appropriate. Build support for Global Citizen’s advocacy and campaigning among these advocacy partners in Nigeria, to mobilise Global Citizens in Nigeria and amplify our campaign asks.
- Represent Global Citizen at external events, meetings, workshops and in the media on key 2020 campaign issues, such as water and sanitation, women and girls, education, food and nutrition.
- Support the coordination of event and festival planning in Lagos (specifically the attendance and commitments being made by the Nigerian Government), working closely with the global and regional GPA team.
- Working closely with Global Citizen’s impact team, record the impact of Global Citizen’s policy, advocacy and campaigns work in Nigeria.
- Report to donors on the impact of Global Citizen’s policy, advocacy and campaigns work in Nigeria.
- Contribute to the management of Global Citizen’s 2020 Policy Advisory Committee.
Required Skills & Experience:
- At least 4 years of experience in as an advocate or campaigner on issues related to Global Citizen’s work (for example, education, health, WASH, nutrition etc.) in an NGO, donor or similar organisation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to frame and draft campaign materials.
- Deep understanding of the Nigerian policy making process and how to influence that process as well as an understanding of the role of the private sector in development in Nigeria to support ending poverty and Global Citizen priority issue areas.
- Appreciative of new and innovative ways of thinking cross-sectorally and about unique and new partnerships to deliver on the SDGs in Nigeria.
- Deep understanding of international policy making and global financing mechanisms, and how to influence both.
- Sound understanding of community development, popular culture, and online campaigning
- Ability to develop and manage key external relationships, including with senior members of the Nigerian Government.
- Media experience, including conducting press briefings and interviews
- Willingness to go above and beyond
- Commitment to see an end to extreme poverty by 2030
- Legal authority to work in Nigeria and ability to travel as needed across Africa, USA, and Europe.
- Reports to GPA Africa policy lead
- Must be authorized for employment in Nigeria
- Based in Lagos/Abuja
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online