Senior Operations Coordinator at Christian Aid (CA)
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Operations Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: 7 months
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Reports to (Job Title): Head of Operations
Salary Band: D
On call/unsocial hours: Yes
Expected travel per annum: Up to 20 days
Number of Direct reports: 4
Overall people management responsibility: 4
- To be responsible for leading Christian Aid’s operations in the North East and providing support to the program delivery.
- He/she will be responsible for leading and coordinating the units responsible for procurement, logistics & fleet management, human resources, warehousing & commodity management, administration, and ICT within the humanitarian response to enable the team to function smoothly and effectively.
- Proactively taking responsibility for making things work, ensuring smooth day to day operations, ensuring that sub-offices function optimally, blocking all wastages and loopholes while managing the relationship and performance of external suppliers and service providers.
- She/he will support Christian Aid’s funded programs which are implemented by Christian Aid and its partners in Borno and other northeast states.
- The role holder will be representing Christian Aid in sector working group meetings/activities and engage in the right networks. The role reports to the Head of Operations.
Manage the procurement process:
- Ensure all procurements are in line with Christian Aid’s procurement guideline, transparent, and meets value for money principle.
- Establish and maintain robust controls and providing mitigation and minimization of risks and error around procurements
- Development of appropriate checks and balances to minimize the risks of errors, and to ensure the integrity of all procurement transactions in the Humanitarian response.
- Lead the sub – procurement Committee
- Ensure the timely delivery of all procurements handled by the Subcommittee and continually monitor the process to ensure there are no loopholes.
- Ensure all vendors are treated fairly without any compromise.
- Support CA procurement processes, a member of the IPC with varying degrees of responsibilities and ensure compliance with the procurement policy, institutionalization of procurement best practices, and making recommendations as may be required to the Head of Operations.
Oversee warehousing and stock management:
- Working closely with the Commodity tracking Officer for oversight of all Christian Aid warehouses and ensuring compliance with the warehouse management guidelines and processes.
- Review Warehouse and commodity management reports generated weekly and monthly to ensure accuracy and prompt addressing of concerns.
- Ensure the timely submission of the CPDR and weekly commodity movement updates as required.
- Ensure the smooth operations of the warehousing and commodity management unit
- Liaise with the donors as may be required and warehousing and commodity management-related concerns.
- Flag issues as soon as they are discovered for prompt attention.
Oversee administration processes and ensure effectiveness and efficiency:
- Working closely with the Administration Officer and ensure smooth day to day administration processes across all Christian Aid offices and that facilities are in good working condition.
- Ensure that outsourced services are delivered with the utmost professionalism and timely adhering to Christian Aid’s code of conduct and other related policies.
- Working closely with the Humanitarian Response Manager to ensure the office is properly registered (including renewal of licensing) and in compliance with local Legislation (including labour and operational laws in Borno State).
- Carry out spot-checks and sign off on inventory and fixed asset registers quarterly.
- Develop a mechanism for monitoring stock and ensure thresholds are maintained to avoid stockouts.
- Ensure the effective management of Christian Aid’s guesthouse and charging costs accordingly.
Oversee the Logistics and fleet management unit to ensure effectiveness and efficiency:
- Working closely with the Logistics Office to ensure timely and logistic support to the humanitarian response team.
- Adequate and timely assignment of vehicles for program activities
- Ensure efficient use of third party vehicles in a cost-effective manner
- Manage communication with the car hire services providers and ensure compliance with Christian Aid code of conduct, policies, and processes
- Ensure timely and well-coordinated movement of commodities to distribution sites as may be required.
- Ensure adherence to Christian Aid’s transport policy.
- Support the delivery of the Human Resource function
- Work with the Human resource Officer to ensure effective HR support to the Humanitarian Response team
- Ensure staff welfare and well being
- Ensure up to date staff data
- Ensure timely escalation of issues to the Head of Operations and seek support as may be required to effectively deliver the HR function
Overseeing ICT support:
- Ensure ICT concerns are promptly attended to.
- Working closely with the ICT staff to ensure timely and adequate support to all offices and staff within the North East
- Ensure update of ICT inventory and assets registers for all locations
- Network with Peer organizations to keep up to date with finance processes, best practices, and issues of concern as it affects INGOs in Nigeria.
Budget Management and cost allocation:
- Supports the development of operations team budget for proposals
- Managing and monitoring the budget including assigning and allocating cost for operations activities.
- Support all proposal development for the Humanitarian Response program
To ensure coordination of the operations team members in the North East:
- Coordinate the operations team ensuring that all team members are effectively motivated by providing some level of leadership, direction, motivation, and meaningful feedback
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships with other teams ensuring the provision of a positive and professional service that enables the progression of the operations team strategy
- Management and development of a high performing team who are meeting their goals
Surge capacity for emergency responses:
- Yes – could be required to to travel for more than 75 days p.a. and for a period of up to 3 months but for no more than 6 months p.a. with no less than one month’s interval between postings unless in extreme circumstances.
- To respond to ever-changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in the workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project-based working approach the norm.
- To sustain this system, managers may/will agree on further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
- The role is positioned in the Operations role family. Based on the humanitarian response, the focus of the role is to coordinate and ensure core business systems function within the humanitarian response including sub-offices.
- The role will be working closely with the Head of Operations to coordinate the human resource, administrative, logistics, warehousing, ICT, and procurement activities in the humanitarian response. It manages CA property, sources, and secures various contracts (with suppliers, service providers, consultants). It is the custodian of assets and responsible for all health and safety issues pertaining to staff and visitors.
- The role will be highly involved in change processes working closely with the Humanitarian Response Manager and the Head of Operations to implement new policies and systems across the humanitarian response as they are rolled out. There may be some travel within the country as required.
- The role plays a significant role in shaping the operations team structure and systems, culture,e and ability to use systems effectively. The role may be called upon to deputize or act on behalf of the Head of Operations.
- The role also oversees, leads, line manages and builds the capacities of other staff members. The role works closely with the other unit leads within the Operations team to ensure effective operations processes.
- External: External suppliers and service providers (e.g. landlords, vehicle rental agents, consultants recruited for program evaluations/reviews, security service providers, hotels, etc)
- Internal: The role is line managed by the Head of Operations. It oversees the operations team staff in the North East and other support staff.
- The role works closely with internal systems staff (IT, HR, Procurement, Finance, programs, etc) in the Humanitarian response and across the country office.
- Budgetary/savings responsibility: The role plays a vital role in business decision-making around costsaving approaches and value for money putting into consideration context and other variables that will inform a robust outcome.
- The post holder has authority and accountabilities around general administration, logistics, and procurement.
- The post holder is responsible for the day to day decisions around cost allocation and general operations liaising with the Head of Operations.
- Responsible for one discrete area or several strands within a function, how much creativity, analysis and judgement or routine/semi-routine Ability to apply logical thinking, creativity, analysis based on available data and common sense to task and responsibilities and testing solutions for day to day issues.
Developing self and others:
- Continuously look for opportunities for self-development. Give and receive honest and open feedback in a timely manner.
- Has direct responsibility for developing, coaching, and motivating a team or teams of colleagues/project team members, undertake performance reviews and development of action plans to improve the performance of others, whether staff, interns, or volunteers.
- The ability and desire to promote an open, inclusive work environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork are essential.
Role related checks:
- Child protection clearance – Standard
- Counter terrorism screening – Required
- The post holder should have a First Degree in any of the Social Sciences (Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics etc), with 5-7 years’ working experience in a similar role/ context.
- An advanced degree and experience working in an international organisation will be an added advantage.
- Sound knowledge of managing and handling complex procurements in a rapid response program.
- Strong positive attitude with the ability to manage a wide range of complicated issues, indicated by 5-7 years learning period.
- 3 – 4 years of experience in leading and managing a team
- High level of integrity
- Demonstrable ability to communicate fluently in English (oral and written)
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and use of discretion where appropriate.
- Pleasant and good-natured disposition with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Excellent people skills and ability to manage conflict/difficult situation.
- High sense of responsibility, proactiveness, and reliability
- Sound knowledge of Office programmes including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Knowledge of relevant database systems.
- Good interpersonal skills and able to work with people of diverse background
- Sound knowledge of the North East context
- A Postgraduate Degree and membership of a relevant professional body.
- At least 5 years of humanitarian response experience especially in the area of operations (procurement, administration, logistics, etc)
- Familiar with office operations in the Northeast Nigeria context.
- Ability to communicate fluently in Hausa
Digital / IT competencies required:
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint – Intermediate
- Internet based collaboration tools and video calling – Intermediate
- Data Visualisation – Intermediate
- Web content design & development – N/A
- Social Media – Intermediate
Application Closing Date
4th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)