Senior Writer at Gecko Five
Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime
Gecko Five is positioned to become the fastest growing modern sports media brand in Africa. We aim to create the largest reach and engagement of millennials and Gen Z audiences across Africa.. Every month, African millennial audiences will turn to Gecko Five publications across multiple channels for impactful conversation around the interests and issues enga…
Read more about this company
- Job Type Full Time , Remote
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 2 years
- Location Lagos
- Job Field Media / Advertising / Branding
This role reports to the Editorial Lead and works closely with our content editors, marketing team and sales team.
Gecko Five is seeking a remote, part-time writer to cover Football, Gaming and Culture. Day-to-day responsibilities include pitching and writing original reported football, gaming and culture stories (both short turnaround and longer lead), evergreen, service stories, and trend pieces about topics in Europe’s Top 5 major leagues, African football (national and leagues), esports and gaming, and general football culture. A passion for football and what moves fans plus an innate ability to trend-spot in the fields are crucial. Examples of the kinds of articles you’d work on include this interview with top player Thomas Partey on opportunities for African football; this season hair trend piece; and how players are dealing with the lockdown.
The majority of stories will require the writer to find sources, conduct phone interviews, and cite peer-reviewed studies. A network of industry contacts and go-to experts (think agents, pundits, and footballers) is a plus.
Candidates must have availability to work 3 days per week during business hours, WAT. The writer will work remotely and communicate with the Editorial Lead throughout their shift.
- Write 6 to 8 500-word stories per week comprising a mix of pitches and assignments
- Stay up-to-date on the latest football trends and research and influential opinion leaders in this space to produce authoritative content
- Manage ongoing assignments, including conducting interviews and follow-ups
- Applicants should have at least 2 years experience covering youth/millennial themed topics at an online publication
- Ability to turn in clean, well-sourced, accurate copy in a timely fashion
- Comfort covering sensitive topics
- A sense for what makes a Gecko story
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Excite and inspire with an infectious curiosity and optimistic approach.
Gecko Five is positioned to become the fastest growing modern sports media brand in Africa. We aim to create the largest reach and engagement of millennials and Gen Z audiences across Africa. Every month, African millennial audiences will turn to Gecko Five publications across multiple channels for impactful conversation around the interests and issues engaging sports today. Gecko Five was founded in 2020 and is headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria.
Method of Application
Please send a cover letter, resume, and link to relevant writing and editing samples to [email protected]
Learn how to get a job in any industry you want. Read 72 Hours to The Job You Love