Shelter Technical Assistant (Social) at the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, humanitarian, non-profit, non-governmental organisation. We provide assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide.
What is NRC?
NRC promotes and protects the rights of refugees and people who have been displaced within their own country. We take …
Read more about this company
Shelter Technical Assistant (Social)
- Job Type Contract
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 1 year
- Location Borno
- Job Field Engineering / Technical  , NGO/Non-Profit
Webcruiter ID: 4201914846
Location: Pulka / Gwoza – Maiduguri, Borno
Full-time / part-time: Full-time
Commencement: April 2020
Duration: 8 Months
Employment type: Contract
Percentageof full-time: 100
Start date: 01 / 04 / 2020
Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Support in the implementation of shelter construction
- Distribution of beneficiary handover certificate and other shelter related documents to beneficiaries
- Pr-evaluation of habitability training needs of the community and support with modules for appropriate training materials (training modules and ToR)
- Support the community base support workers in the implementation of shelter activities and provide report to the shelter officer.
- Conduct community sensitization, awareness and mobilization to encourage beneficiary commitment to shelter activities
- Assist in encouraging the participation of female community based workers in the construction / rehabilitation of community infrastructures and other shelter activities.
- Assist in the formation of beneficiary selection committee and village committee
- Assist in Routine monitoring of project activities and report feedback from the community and stakeholders to shelter officer
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with local authorities, communities and stakeholders in NRC area of intervention
- Performs any other duties as requested by the shelter Program Development Manager or Shelter Officer
- At least 1 year experience in similar positions
- University degree in Social Science or its equivalent
- Knowledge of the context in North Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa
- Experience on implementation of emergency shelter activities
- Experience in household sensitization and training in shelter and infrastructure maintenance
- High-level English language proficiency (speaking, reading, writing)
- Analytic and computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access)
- Knowledge of the context in North East Nigeria
- Knowledge in Community Mobilization or related field.
- Knowledge of the local languages is an advantage.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
We Can Offer / Duty Station
- Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions (Grade Level 4 Step 1)
- Duty stations: Pulka / Gwoza, Borno State – North-East Nigeria with 30% frequent travels. Travel outside duty stations is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
Method of Application
- Nigeria National Only
- An approved health certificate will be requested before the contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
Interested and qualified? Go to Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) on 23109900.webcruiter.no to apply