Social Media Manager at BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development organisation, and we believe in the power of media and communication for good. We work in more than 20 countries around the world, supporting the independent media essential to democracy and development. Last year, our projects and programmes reached 130 million people facing poverty, inequality and insecurity with information they could trust, helping to improve health, bridge divides, challenge prejudice, and save and change lives. We follow the editorial standards and values of the BBC, but we rely on funding from donors and partners to carry out our work.
BBC Media Action delivers a portfolio of projects in Nigeria. It seeks to expand this portfolio of work, but also to ensure that existing projects are delivered on time, on budget, to the highest standards and in accordance with BBC editorial values and methodologies.
We are seeking talented professionals with the right experience to join our Nigeria team in the position below:
Job Title: Social Media Manager
Reports to: Head of production and training
Contract: Fixed-term employment
Duration: 12 months
- The social media manager will work with the head of production and training, and other senior producers, to produce and schedule digital content on BBC Media Action social media platforms (in Hausa and English / Pidgin).
- The role will also be primarily responsible for the posting of social media content on BBC Media Action digital platforms in line with daily/weekly schedules.
- This includes: taking the lead in deciding the most appropriate digital content to produce, determining the best times to post, and mining insights with the view to achieving the highest levels of traction, reach and engagement possible on BBC Media Action’s social media platforms.
- The social media manager will lead in the analysis of referral and in-platform metrics and give insight into the behaviour of our social media communities.
- The post-holder will ensure the use of appropriate digital marketing technology tools for the distribution of content across the web, and track emerging trends in social media.
- This is a crucial role in our editorial teams, responsible for identifying trending editorial topics and trends on social platforms.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the effective implementation of BBC Media Action’s digital strategy.
- Schedule digital content on BBC Media Action social media platforms [in Hausa and English/Pidgin].
- Lead in the posting of social media content on BBC Media Action digital platforms in line with the daily/weekly schedules.
- Ensure that all content or language published to BBC media Action social media platforms adheres to BBC editorial guidelines.
- Provide insight into emerging platforms, trends or behaviours on the web that will be advantageous to meeting BBC Media Action vertical key performance indicators.
- Supervise producers as they pitch, write, report, record and edit original BBC Media Action digital content.
- Ensure that deadlines, budgets, and project objectives are met and adhered to.
- Ensure that all content or language published on BBC Media Action digital platforms adhere to BBC editorial guidelines.
- Work towards achieving the highest levels of traction, reach and engagement possible on BBC Media Action’s social media platforms.
- Lead in the analysis of referral and in-platform metrics and give insight into the behaviour of our social media communities.
- Contribute to the evolution of BBC Media Action’s vertical digital strategy by providing innovative ideas and concrete insights into content performance.
- Create social content, including production of original video, multimedia assets and BBC Media Action editorial content.
- Provide periodic feedback on performance and engagement with BBC Media Action featured content on social media platforms and organic share metrics.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Interested candidates should possess relevant qualifications and work experience.
- Demonstrable understanding of BBC editorial values and sound editorial judgement.
- Good judgment and decision-making skills, including the ability to adapt, react and respond to crises, and to evaluate risk.
- Experience in producing content for the web or social media.
- Creativity and innovation in the implementation of strategies for individual posts and management of digital platforms.
- A clear, fluent writing style and an ability to produce strong headlines, summaries and promotional texts in English and Pidgin English. Fluency in written Hausa will be an added advantage.
- Sound understanding of BBC Media Action’s audience and relevant market and the BBC Media Action brand.
- Demonstrated knowledge or interest in digital trends in media, entertainment, and emerging technologies.
- Participate in a mandatory briefing on Respect at Work, and ensure compliance with the staff code of conduct and its related policies.
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the line manager or using the Whistleblowing Policy
- Strong understanding of and commitment to BBC editorial values.
- A strong visual sense and experience in picture research and image editing skills using Adobe Photoshop.
- Video editing skills and fluency in Adobe After Effects or Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to work within established deadlines.
- A self-starter excited by the potential of working in a small, dynamic and growing team.
- Sound knowledge of social media best practices and the social media landscape.
- Candidates must have the right to live and work in Nigeria.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Pidgin English is also required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV with Cover Letter in English (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role, and availability status to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Only applicants with a separate cover letter will be considered.
- Please do not send certificates or other attachments.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
- BBC Media Action is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- This role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children, youth, and adults.
- For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.
- A police background check may form part of the recruitment process
Application Deadline 5pm; 20th December, 2021.