Statistical Assistant at the African Union (AU)
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Statistical Assistant
Requisition ID: 1203
Location: Rabat, Morocco
Reports to: Senior Statistician
Directorate/Department : African Migration Observatory/ HHS
Division : Office of the Deputy Director, Migration Statistics Unit
Job Grade: GSA6
Number of Positions: 05
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- The Statistical Assistant reports to the Statistician on the assigned AU Region, and is responsible for collecting quantitative migration data.
- Contribute to the development of the strategic and annual activity work-plans for his/her assigned AU Region in line with the Observatory’s strategic goals, objectives and priorities.
- Compile, process and manipulate data sets derived from a variety of sources with macro programming.
- Assemble and examine original statistical material to ensure accuracy, clarity and validity; make appropriate adjustments.
- Maintain relevant computerized databases.
- Respond to internal/external requests on questions related to specific programme(s).
- Prepare data sets upon request, respond to queries/requests and maintain/update web pages.
- Participate in organizing regional and continental workshops, seminars and conferences;
- Update statistical series in established formats. Apply new data and derived statistics, enter data on survey reports, and provide information for publication.
- Prepare charts, graphs and other outputs for reporting and presentation of various data.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Statistician.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Diploma in a numerate discipline such as Statistics, Demography, Mathematics, Computer Science or Survey Methodology or other related disciplines.
- Higher academic qualification (Bachelor Degree) in similar field is an advantage.
- A minimum of three (3) and two (2) years of continuous and combined experience for Diploma and Bachelor Degree graduates, in working with survey data and secondary data.
- Experience in data management in a similar organization is desirable.
- Strong analytical skills and mathematical ability.
- A clear understanding of statistical terms and concepts
- Written and oral communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Planning and Organizing: Ability to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Pro-active and solutions oriented
- Personal commitment, goal oriented and drive for results, flexibility and respect for diversity.
- Ability to operate in a multicultural environment.
- High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit
- Adaptive, patient, resourceful and resilient
- Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish). Knowledge of one more or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including word-processing, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications and experience in using office software applications such as MS Excel, Power Point and Word.
- Ability to identify priority activities and assignments and adjust priorities as required. Ability to work under pressure, stay on track and meet deadlines.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Ability to identify, extract, process, analyze and disseminate statistical data.
- A high level of accuracy and attention to details
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Risk Awareness and Compliance
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating Clearly.
- Trouble shooting
- Job Knowledge Sharing
- Task Focused
- Continuous Improvement Awareness
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Swahili and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 19,485.00 (GSA6 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary for internationally recruited candidates), Housing allowance US$ 16,813.44 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum) for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 19th September, 2022.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply