Surveillance Officer at Action Against Hunger – 2 Openings
Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Surveillance Officer
Locations: Maiduguri – Borno and Potiskum – Yobe
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Monitoring and Evaluation
Experience: Mid Level
Proposed Start Date: June 2021
Direct Line Manager: Nutrition SMART Survey Program Manager
Company Overview / Job Description
- Action Against Hunger (Action Contre la Faim – ACF) began operations in Nigeria in 2010 in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria, focusing on integrated programming and looking at the Nutrition for children, pregnant and lactating mothers. In 2011, we expanded our work to begin implementing nutrition development projects in Jigawa and in Yobe.
- Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded our operations in Borno State in 2014 in response to the crisis to address the Nutrition, Health, Food security & livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. We are operational in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe and 3 in Jigawa.
- AAH is looking to fill the role of Surveillance Officer who will be primarily responsible for leading survey implementation in different LGAs of intervention in the programs implemented by AAH in Northern Nigeria.
- Under the direction of the SMART Survey Program Manager and in collaboration with the Project Managers, the Surveillance Officer will develop and implement clear and practical survey plans for the program by ensuring that objectives, indicators, questionnaire, databases, data analysis, and reporting are maintained and harmonized.
- He/she will also ensure the quality of the survey and provide timely report to his/her manager.
- Supervise the collection and documentation of background and general information and contextual information relevant to the survey, Health and Nutrition, food security and WASH among others in the ACF implementation areas to support surveillance decision-making and survey implementation.
- In coordination with the PM and the technical team, coordinate and lead the survey design: initial planning, selection of tools and methods, sampling, writing guidelines and set up time frame, working days needed, budget and logistics planning and any special tools and equipment needed.
- Recruit, train and build technical capacity of the surveys’ team in collaboration with the SMART PM.
- Provide simplified trainings on the SMART survey methodology and findings for general understanding to the program teams, M&E teams, and sectors partners.
- Provide support in surveillance activities such as data mining, database management to the MEAL and program teams.
- Support PM in following up of the budget allocated to survey activities in liaison with administration/finance arrangement and follow up with the logistics requirements of the surveys’ team with the logistics department and relevant field coordinators, program managers.
- Minimum of Degree in Statistics, Public Health, Nutrition, Economics, International Development, Demography or related field, with previous experience working in humanitarian projects.
- At least 3 years of proven experience in the monitoring and evaluation, accountability and learning of humanitarian or development programs.
- Demonstrated practical experience with mobile data collection.
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English.
- Experience of data collection, collation, analysis, and report writing.
- Excellent team, budget and project management and representation competencies.
- Good facilitation and presentation skills.
- Commitment to and understanding of AAH aims, values and principles.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly with Microsoft office, spreadsheets, SPSS, ENA, Epi-info, or other statistical packages.
- Experience in mobile data collection using ODK is an added advantage.
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Experience in statistical analysis.
Minimum Basic Salary
NGN 260,244 per month.
Application Closing Date
15th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online