Technical Advisor, Gender Based Violence (GBV) at the Excellence Community Education Welfare Scheme (ECEWS)
The Excellence Community Education Welfare Scheme (ECEWS) is a leading and reputable indigenous non-governmental organization that promotes access to qualitative healthcare, education and economic strengthening opportunities for all Nigerians. With its headquarters in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and a corporate office in Abuja, ECEWS has presence in 17 States across the South-South, South East, South West and North Central Nigeria with a strong client portfolio with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Global Fund to fight against AIDS, TB and Malaria, United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC), The United Nations office of Projects, World Bank & Federal Government of Nigeria. Since its founding in 2001, ECEWS has built a vast network of health and allied professional staff, partners and collaborators which has earned her a solid reputation among its funders and is well regarded by competitors and partners alike.
We seek applications from qualified persons to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor, Gender Based Violence (GBV)
Location: Akwa Ibom
Reporting Line: Deputy Chief of Party
- The Accelerating Control for HIV Epidemic Project (ACE) funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), is a 5 year funded project implemented in Akwa Ibom & Cross River States.
- Implementation is targeted at achieving epidemic control thereby reducing transmission and improving the quality of life of those living with HIV.
- Provide technical leadership and drive impactful program design to address gender and GBV on the ACE Project.
- With skills and competencies in the areas of GBV prevention, social norms change and participatory program design with scale and sustainability in mind, work collaboratively with ECEWS HQ/State offices, technical and program teams, ACE consortium Partners and local and regional partners to strengthen the Gender contribution to ACE’s global impact on gender integration, social norms change, GBV prevention, risk mitigation and response.
- Ensure GBV activities are integrated within the all services package delivered on the ACE Project
- Follow-up on the smooth implementation of ECEWS strategy for the response to GBV in Nigeria in close collaboration with the Head of Programs, and other program implementation team members.
Task and Responsibilities
- In line with ECEWS overall strategy for the response to GBV, implement and suggest adjustments to ECEWS strategy on GBV, in close collaboration with the States GBV Desk Officer and the Health Coordinator.
- Promote actively the GBV component within ECEWS ACE program team to ensure that they perfectly adhere to ECEWS strategy on GBV in the interest of the survivors
- Advise the clinical team on ensuring the implementation of the planned activities, including mental health and psychosocial support, and appropriate referral mechanisms following guidelines and strategy
- Ensure the quality of activities through regular monitoring and technical support of clinical team, data collection and management, provide guidance in case of difficulties.
- Carry out and update a mapping of all actors responding to GBV and develop a strong network to foster information exchange and synergies
- Lead on coordination with other actors to ensure safe referral for GBV survivors and make sure ECEWS internal referral pathway respect the guiding principles of the response to GBV
- Actively participate to coordination efforts with GBV actors (ex: GBV sub-cluster)
- Coordinate the implementation of the sensitization & awareness raising component in Akwa Ibom &Cross River States
- Support and follow-up the community mobilization activities in close collaboration with ECEWS team. GBV actors as well as other stakeholders (ex: community leaders)
- In close collaboration with the Community and the States GBV Desk Officer, define the communication strategy and communication mediums (radio, press posters, leaflets)
- Identify the capacity building needs of ECEWS and partner’s team related to GBV and provide trainings
- Contribute to the definition of the global referral strategy
- Organize and/or facilitate trainings on the response to GBV, in line with ECEWS training materials available.
- Provide technical support for the smooth implementation of sensitization & awareness raising activities and the definition of key messages
- Participate in the development of external and internal communication tools in order to promote ECEWS response to GBV in humanitarian settings operational model for the
- Take part if necessary, with the ECEWS team, partners or other actors to advocacy activities
- Participate in the dissemination of ECEWS approach, results and lessons leamt Make sure the GBV data collection system is in place, respect confidentiality and safety and that GBV data collection tools are properly used and indicators monitored (for both medical and MHPSS aspects)
- Share to Senior Technical Officer Quality Assurance / Improvement any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments.
- Participate to the GBV sub-sectors meetings and actively contribute to coordination and common reporting efforts.
- If needed, participate to meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in GBV
- Contribute to the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors.
- Master’s Degree in Development, Public Health, Social Work, or related degree, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 10+ years of professional experience in international development, with at least seven years of experience implementing programs based in Nigeria
- 5+ years of experience in GBV prevention and/or response initiatives, including program design, training, facilitation, monitoring and evaluation, and/or research Demonstrated success with multi-million dollar proposals for GBV programming
- Experience working on US govemment-funded programs
- Experience as a case worker or supervising case workers and a thorough understanding of GBV case management principles
- Field experience
- Expert conceptual and practical knowledge of gender-based violence and gender issues, including methods for gender and power analysis, socio-ecological models for violence prevention and associated interventions, socialgender norms change interventions, measurement and evaluation of GBV interventions, and expertise on integration of such approaches into multi-sectoral programs.
We have a competitive compensation package.
Application Closing Date
30th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed Resume and a one-page Cover Letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to “Human Resources Unit” via:
- Application must explicitly state their full names with the position and location applied for in the subject of the email.
- Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers.
- Eligible female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- ECEWS does not charge candidates a fee for a test or interview.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- ECEWS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).